Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need everone's opinion on something I found on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 16, 2006.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Painted-Fender-bass-Body_W0QQitemZ7398209598QQcategoryZ38079QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Okay, so I was looking through eBay last night and I found that. What made me love it first was that it was a PJ bass (I have GAS for one of those now). And plus the paint job is so awesome. Not to mention that it's pretty low in price.

So I want everyone's opinion. Do you think I should go for it and turn it into my project (which I've actually wanted to start doing), and if so, what equipment and stuff I should put in it. I know I'm greatly considering a maple neck, but how hard is it to put in like blue block inlays? Also, do you think it's possible to have a double stacked knob for the seperate pick up volumes (one for precision and one for jazz), then a tone knob and a bass volume knob?

Thanks in advance

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    inlays aren't easy, but aren't ridiculously hard, depending on how much experience you have with tools.

by bass and tone volume.. do you mean bass and treble, as in an active eq? cos then you can have 2 volumes separately and a stacked bass/treble. thats the conventional way to do it.

3. Well I'll admit, I don't really know what those stacked knobs are exactly for. I just figured that you could get stacked knobs for anything.

Basically I wanted to have a volume for each pick up, and put those in stacked knobs (like top for the jazz pick up and bottom for the precision pick up). Then have a second volume for the entire bass, and a tone knob

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    The one thing I would be concerned about is that you don't know how good the neck pocket routing is. If it's sloppy your neck will float back and forth. Not good. The price is too cheap for this to be a quality body IMO. The paint is nice.
    Read the fine print. you bought it, you own it!
    I see some red flags here.
    As far as the electronics and config. not problem go crazy. If the neck won't be stable in a badly routed pocket you will have waisted what ever money you spent on the body. IMO as always

5. Well yeah, that was the one thing that kept me from just jumping at this, being the no-return policy.

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Also, check out the seller. Ummm. No history, no feed back. see ya!

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Run away!

8. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah theres some dubious elements to this. However if you did get it, electronics arent a problem. you could get any combination of volume knobs, blend knobs, bass/mid/treble knobs, it just depends on who you buy the electronics from and which kit.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    20 dollar shipping is kinda pricey, but oh well. The route where the controls go is HUGE. You may have trouble finding a pickuguard that will cover that. I wouldn't buy it, though it does look cool.

10. Yeah I guess you guys are right. I'll just look around at some pawn shops for a P bass special

11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    $45? I'd do it. If it doesn't work out with the neck pocket, it would make a great lamp.

12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Hey... I may have something for ya here. Check your PM's.

Jeff

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Also, check out the seller. Ummm. No history, no feed back. see ya!"

+ 1.....not to mention that there is no way to verify who manufactured the body. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

14. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    looks like an old fender bullet bass body to me, maybe even a old squire bullet bass body. notice the short upper horn, dead giveaway.

15. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    "Sold as is and absolutely no returns."

Whenever I see this, it makes me feel like the seller is trying to slide one by. My opinion only, but I avoid auctions with this kind of wording.

16. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The shape of that body is off. I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Mike

17. It seems sketchy to me. Id stay away from this. Also, 20 bucks for shipping? Right...