I need good bass books!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Twistad, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Over the past few months, i've been trying to find a teacher in my region who wants to teach me. Unfortunately, the results have been pretty bad and no one seems to want to teach me since I play a 6 strings.

I'm also involved in many other activities so I had a rough time finding time for the the few ones that i found.

So, what i'm asking you here are recommendations of good books that could help me. I'm already pretty sure i'll be buying The Slap Bass Program but i'd like another one or 2 on overall technique and theory.

I've been playing for a year and an half and my interests are mostly prog rock and metal. That's it, thanks already!
  2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    BassBooks.com has a ton of great books and videos. Definatley get that Slap bass program video (which they have in the videos section) I don't think anyone on this forum will tell you that it isn't worth the money. I see that you are into prog metal, they have a John Myung video there but I'm not sure how good it is. I might check it out myself
  3. The Bass Grimoire is a great book for theory, but its pretty hard to follow for me. If nothing else it's got every scale you'll ever need to know.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Do not get the John Myung video. I used to think John Myung was a good player until I saw this video. He just doesn't finesse his playing... at all! I hate to burst someone's bubble, but he's not a good player. At least not as good as he seems.
    Oh and the Bass Fitness book is great.
    Billy Sheehan's Bass Secrets will definately challenge your hand strength.
    That's all, don't mean to be harsh.