Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need growl, yet I need jazz. What amp will help me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Aug 6, 2003.

1. O.k., I understand that the way I use my fingers has a lot to do with my sound. But you just can't tell me that the amp has nothing to do with sound. So, what head is essentially known for that jazzy wah sound but can still get that growl out of the low end. What I'm looking for is the Radiohead low end and the Jaco jazz on the highs. My problem of late has been that I can't get my highs to cut through. And I don't want them to be all sharp pingy. So I'm lookin for that Jaco high end. I have a P-bass with a double jazz so I got that covered. Also, is there an e.q. trick I could use to give my high end some bass and presence? Thank you.

2. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I play a Fender jazz with an Ampeg V9-SVT. It's mean............but is really no fun on tour or just playing local shows. 90lbs

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    iAmp 800. It will get just about any sound you want. Bergantino HT112 cabs help a lot too.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

what kind of amp are you using now? how versatile is the EQ? usually a good shot of 6 kHz or higher like 8 kHz or even 10 kHz, if your EQ is capable, should give some nice air to your sound. you can also try upping your tweeter on your bass cab, but not too much, or it will sound too piercing and hissy.

and what do you mean, "P bass with double J's"? does it have both a P pickup and two Jazz single coil pickups?

personally, i hate too much highs. i always cut everything from 4 kHz on up. i like that rounded, beefy, substantial bass tone.

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    GK!

really nice bridge tone and boat loads of growl.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would recommend either one of the Mesa M-Pulse line heads, or an EA iAMP. An Eden WT-550 could be nice, too. Cabs will have a huge impact, too. The sweetest high end that I have found is that on the Epifani cabs. Lots of low end booty, too. The Bergies are supposed to have sweet high end as well, but I hear that the Epi's have a bit more low end.

FWIW, one of my rigs is a Mesa Boogie Walkabout powering one or two Epifani T-112's and a T-110UL, and this rig can get boatloads of growl (even overdrive) and/or tight, clean lows and highs.

You may want to try adding a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Check out the Effects forum. A BBE employee is sharing some good information on their line of products (including their new preamps).

Hope this helps, Tom.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ampeg B100r.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Jaco tone is bridge PU with lots of midrange to get the "burp". Play real close to the bridge.

To my ears "growl" is also lots of mids :D

Easiest way to get growl is to hit the strings with a sharp attack. Amp doesn't seem to matter much for me...I can make it happen with almost anything.

9. IMHO, the growl depends more on the bass and the playing style than on the amp.

10. JimboBass

JimboBass

May 23, 2003
    I suggest Epifani T-212, I love that Jaco sound and My 212 nails it.

11. Mesa 400+

Funky
    Growlin'
    All tube
    Sex

Everything you need in an amp. Good for jazz tones, rockin' growl tones. 7 band EQ built in.

(I really should be a MESA spokesman)

~Zentner

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    hense the reason for going for a GK head!

The amp still plays a pretty big role.