i need help again! please help me decide on a fingerboard!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Sep 17, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I dont want to bore with this, but i've come to the point where i need to decide what works best for this bass, the Rosewood or the wenge. I can't make up my mind- i dig the figure in the rosewood, but i am not sure it works with the walnut - meanwhile, the wenge looks fine with the walnut, but its very plain.. which would you guys choose?
    the rosewood....
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wenge, the rosewood takes away from the walnut. Its distracting.
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  6. Of the two, I'd choose the wenge board, because of the plain look of it. The rosewood is way to busy together with the already busy, but nice, walnut top.
    If I were to choose freely though, a maple or ebony board would be the main contenders, based on looks alone.
  7. I would probably choose the rosewood. If it is like the one on the 635, the frets will take the distraction factor down considerably.

Either way, though, it looks awesome.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd go with a single-colored or finely-grained board. Of your choices, that would be the wenge, but there's also maple, pink ivory wood, ebony, or padauk.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Geoff does make a good point. I think it would tone down alot once the frets are installed. Personally I think a maple board would look nice, but I know Adrian doesnt want a maple board.
  10. Adrian,
    A couple things to keep in mind:

MTD is well-known for their wenge necks. Many players here on Talkbass have said they think their maple-neck MTD's are not as good. So, when you go with the wenge, you're choosing one of Mike's strong points.

Also, what sound are you going for? What will you use this bass for? The wenge will have that dry attack, the rosewood a little warmer. Ask Mike which would be the best sounding combo with the alder and the walnut.

BTW.....IT'S BEAUTIFUL either way, so go for sound!!
  11. I prefer the Rosewood - it looks nicer!!

In my opinion, it doesn't take away from the walnut top - it adds to the overall beauty of the instrument.

Either way - you're gonna have a killer bass!:)
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    the one that's harder to pronounce...
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Adrian, I would say put the wood you prefer feelwise on there instead of worrying about appearance. For looks alone, however, I like the rosewood. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have preferred rosewood all my life, until I got the Sukop with wenge fingerboard. I don't know what it is, the wood, the board profile, the bass contour, its light weight or the TI flats or what, but for feel, it's the bass I reach for 1st, even though it's not my best sounding bass.

Can't wait to see that one finished! You need to have those glass cases like at Hard Rock or museums to display your basses.
  15. For looks I would definitly go with the rosewood. It flows better and the frets and strings will temper it to where it doesn't look to busy.

As for sound, I don't know what the typical sound qualities of walnut are but I would be concerned that the walnut with the rosewood combination might sound a bit muddy.
  16. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I held and played a custom 635 (Strung E - E) Saturday night with the Wenge neck. The body was maple, but similar in appearance to the pix. The neck seemed as stiff as iron and really allowed for low action. Very nice, very impressive. And breathtaking in appearance.

I play an Heir with Rosewood over Maple, and do not get the same sense of stiffness, nor the low action, but then my Heir and the 635 are very different instruments.

Other impression: The Wenge felt a smidge heavy

Good Luck!
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL