I need help badly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I know I have been asking alot of questions lately,but I am in a bit of a pickle right now.

I have a fairly good sounding Austin P-bass copy that I love dearly,and a new SX SJB-57 that I recently bought.
    I am fairly happy with the tone I can get from the two,but I know they can do better,especially the Austin.Money is tight for me right now,seeing is how I am 14 and don't have a job,and my parents do not want to spend anymore money on bass stuff for me in the near future.I have a gig set in early June to open for a friend's band before they go to California to tour and my band is planning on recording sometime during the summer and I want to help my tone to the best I can.So here is my problem:

What should I do:Get the B410 DELTA from http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ to go with my 12" 120 watt combo or upgrade the stock pickups in my basses?
    The Austin:

The SX SJB-57:

I don't really need more volume,because I usually am pretty good at about 9-11 o'clock,and my combo has a XLR line out.
    The guitar player uses a tubed 45 watt Fender Deluxe if that matters.

I am leaning towards the pickups because it's cheaper,but I am not sure.

B410 is $341 with shipping (ouch)

Pickups are $129.98 without shipping (With DiMarzio jazz)
    Pickups are $149.98 without shipping (with fender jazz)

If it comes down to pickups,Fenders or DiMarzio?

Thanks for reading this if you did.
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    id go with seymore duncan antiquity, or quarter pounders.

for jazz, EMG active jazz.

i dont like fender pups.
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

I think you'll like the improvement better if you get a cab that can produce some sound. With new pickups, you'll still be struggling to get a full sound out of your existing rig.

Fair warning: There will be others with divergent opinions. Check their post counts.
  5. well, personally, for the SX i think you should put in dimarzio's, i've never played them myself but i've heard nothing but great things about them. try searching for the thread "dr demento's j pickup adventure"..i think, it was something like that, he experimented with all kinds of p and j pickups covering any pickup you can buy pretty much. is the guitar player gonna be recording with that amp? cause if he is 120 watts will probly be plenty enough power. but munji knows what hes talking about better than i know what i'm talking about, so you should probly listen to him
  6. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

Nah I don't think there will be many divergent opinions... It's completely accurate you can have a $10,000 bass and a Fender Rumble 15 and it won't sound good... I was just going on the assumption he just wanted an opinion on the Pickups :p
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Speaker cab, definitely. Pickups are cute but they don't help you move air. Bass is all about moving air.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nice way to derail the guy's thread, gang. OT crap and fighting deleted.

Play nice. Sorry, Rancid.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I think this belongs in Misc - moved.
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Get the 410. Definitely.

You will also want to start looking at amps. You have a good place to start with your basses. Now work on getting them heard. I always found it unfair that guitar players could get much louder rigs with just a bit more money/Wattage/speaker area. We have to work a lot harder just to be heard.

Curse you physics. Curse you. Curse you.
  11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    +1 the bass could sound fantastic, but your combo won't put that out there for the audience. When you talk to people in here you will find so many different views, but what most agree on is that it is your preference. Does the bass you have play well? If not, your decision is really easy. If it does play well and you are happy with it, change the amp.