1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I NEED HELP! BATTLE OF THE HARTKES [LH1000 vs. HA7000]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by autodidact, Jan 23, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm playing an LH1000 right now but im looking for something with little more tonal diversity. I put my LH up on Craigslist just to fish for offers and in a matter of minute I got an offer for an HA7000.

I'm torn between which amp to go with. I'll break this down in a list format just to simplify things...

LH1000

Pros: 2x225@8ohms, 2x320@4 ohms, bridgeable to get 750@8ohms...basically this thing THUMPS. Built in limiter, hasn't given me a single problem yet.

Cons: Only has a 3 band EQ, very generic clean sound

HA7000

Pros: 2x240@8ohms, 2x350@4ohms so this should have just as much if not more power. Adjustable compression, separate tube/solid state pre amp balance

Cons: Not bridgeable, I've read about a few issues with the amp here and there.

What do you guys think? The HA7000 sounds pretty sweet but having never played one of the HA series amps before I'm a little skeptical. Anyone have experience with the HA7000 or both to the point where they could give me some comparisons or feedback?

Thanks guys! :help:

2. I've got an HA7000 which I love. Power to spare, lots of tone shaping ability. It's never let me down. I've been running two Hydrives out of it with no issues. It's my primary amp for home and at gigs when I need two cabs.

A few minor complaints are that the compression is not great (not worth using IMO) and good lord it's heavy.

I have no experience with the LH so I can't comment there. But I have heard good things about this amp.

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong either way.

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Bumparooski

4. Tin Cadillac

Tin Cadillac

Oct 27, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I've been looking at the Hartke LH models and especially like the price of the LH500 but am turned off by the lack of versatility. Could add an EQ and compresser/expander to the effects loop but I am thinking I would also like to dial in the input gain as well.

5. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    The LHs have a bunch of muscle but that's pretty much the main thing they have going for them. The tone isn't bad, its a very generic, no frills kind of clean sound but I personally want a little more flexibility. I also thought about adding an EQ to it but this HA7000 seems to have just as much power (in stereo) with everything I want already built in...only question is reliability.

6. stevenkh

stevenkh

Jun 19, 2011
    Dearborn, MI
    what cabs are you using?

7. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 and a Brickhouse 2x12. I was thinking if I got the 7000 I might use the crossover and send the lows to the 12s and the highs to the 10s...not sure tho

8. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    New twist: To meet the other guy halfway Ill have to drive an hour and a half one way. Hmmm

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    If its any help I've got a HA3500 and have had it since the dawn of time and never had a problem. Love it!

10. I think of the sound as neutral and uncoloring more than generic. Never played the 7000 version but I play both the 2000 and the 3500 for years and never so much as changed a fuse... very reliable IME and if it ever fails, there's always Larry quick to the rescue. personally, I like that series more than the LH but hey, that's just me.