Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help broadening my horizons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metallybassist, Sep 3, 2002.

1. metallybassist

metallybassist

May 22, 2002
    help!

im a relatively new bassist, ive been playing for about a yr and a half, and im 17 yrs old. im think im still making headway learning, and im starting to find my own style, but i really wanna branch out. my problem is that altho my music taste is very varied its quite mainstream, and therefore i cant find any wicked bassists, yknow solo artists. and i really want to.
    could you kind kind kind people please help me find new bassists.

basically i need names of artists, bands, albums, sites i can download from, all that stuff.

anything would be very kindly appreciated.

thanks

take it easy:cool:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jamiroquai with Stuart Zender on bass. First 3 CD's: Emergency On Planet Earth, Return Of The Space Cowboy, & Traveling Without Moving.

Primus - The Brown Album
    Victor Wooten - Show Of Hands
    RHCP - What Hits?
    Larry Graham and Graham Central Station - Greatest Hits

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Faith No More (whole catalog), man.

If you like it, go deeper - try out mr. bungle (california), fantomas (director`s cut). If you like it, go even deeper and try some John Zorn stuff - Naked City for example. WIerd, wierd stuff. And some great bass playing.

If you find last three artist to difficult do listen to, try Peter Gabriel (entire catalog) Primus (antipop, rhinoplaty), Incubus (morning view), Attention Deficit (the idiot king), Portishead (Roseland NYC Live), Red Hot Chili Peppers (BTW, Blood Sugar Sex & Magik), John Pattituci (entire catalog), Bela Fleck & Flecktones (Outbound), Dream Theater (change of seasons)... etc. etc.
    lotsa great bands around. Just look for things you don`t know:)