1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help! But aside from that...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Elmo Oxygen, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ...I'm having gear problems and I think it's pedal related.
    A while back, durring a set, I noticed that my signal was - not "clipping" per sey, but the lower/louder notes were audibly quieter than the higher notes. I first swapped the crappy EMG selects. Still same problem. Then I start wondering if there's an issue with my amp. Nope. I go to a session and it's happening in the monitors in the studio (going through my pedalboard into interface). So it's gotta be my DI, right? It's an MXR m-80, I've had it for almost two years and not had problems until I started using a particular bass (that's why I changed p/u's, I assumed that was it), I use it to record and I use it live. I can't imagine what else it is! My chain is: instrument-monster bass cable-tu-2 - envelope filter (just removed due to switch repairs) - BBE sonic stomp - MXR m80 - monster bass cable - Hartke 5500. I have a family of 5 and no private dedicated space to sit and troubleshoot, but it sure sucks when I show up to a gig or session, start getting into it, go to hit the E or B for the big turnaround, and..... where'd the bass go? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Before you ask; of course I searched. All I could find was people saying great things about the M-80 (which I completely understand). Is there a chance it could have something to do with cables? I'm at a loss here guys and gals. I don't have other rigs/cables, etc. to try. *help*

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    What happens if you just (process of elimination) plug your bass directly into the amp? Its easier to diagnose a problem if you control for other variables.

4. That's tough because I can only play at very low volumes in our small apartment and don't have time for that sort of stuff at gigs. But (at a very low volume) directly into the amp it doesn't seem to happen. However; it doesn't seem to occur through the pedalboard at low volume either. I know - no help at all.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $10 it's your Sonic Stomp. All they do is scoop mids which makes it tough to hear the notes. Those low notes rely a lot on midrange to be heard. They sound good by themselves in an apartment at low volumes, but will eat your sound alive on a gig. IMHO it's a completely useless pedal for live work, and probably not all that great for studio work, either.

6. Actually JimmyM, this started before I even picked up the sonic stomp. But I will take your $10. : )

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I never wanted to face the truth about expensive gear I liked but was working against me, either ;)

Too bad you can't get somewhere to troubleshoot it, but you really need to. But IME it's either misaligned pickups or an EQ problem somewhere along the line, and the only way you're going to find out for sure is to take a little quality time with it.

8. What kind of bass? Style of pickups? P/J by any chance?

9. You're right about that. I really need to make time and space to do that. I don't think it's the pickups, it happened after the swap and with both basses.

10. Active or passive bass? If active, change battery in bass.

also check your string height.

11. Dmusic and Thunderscreech: bass #1: Hohner HRB-DLX with G&L p/u's from an L-2000 (active/passive but I use it passive). Bass #2: MIM Jazz dlx 5. Both always fresh batteries.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Go to a music store and try your bass out with another amp, to see if the problem might be your amp.

13. That's a good economical suggestion but, I'd have to bring my pedalboard to tell if it's that or the amp.... and my cables, I guess. Ah, hell - I'll just throw it all off a bridge and start over.:bag:

14. Do you use a power supply with your pedalboard? If not, check all the batteries in your pedals. I'd recommend spending a little on a Powerall or OneSpot and saving the trouble of batteries.

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, but then you could at least eliminate the amp being the problem while not disturbing the kids/neighbors....

As a more long-term thing, you could try leaving the Sonic Stomp out at the next gig, and then removing or changing other things one at a time until the problem goes away.

16. Yes, I use a one-spot.

17. Good call, my friend.

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Not all pedals like OnesSpots. I stopped using one a while ago because some of my fuzzes hate OneSpots, as well as any daisy chained power. Try individual wall warts, batteries, or something Like a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power.

19. So this thread is old news, but what I discovered might be useful information to someone. After process of elimination and (more importantly) a recording session where we soloed out the bass track; I found that the problem child was the MXR M-80. I've had this for about 2 years and loved it, used it for live and recording many times (and it worked well until this), but owners and prospective buyers beware: the circut wearing out (or whatever happened in there) makes this pedal not worth it. I'll be shopping for a new DI and remembering that you DO get what you pay for. Sansamp, here I come...