Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help choosing a 5 stringer for around $200-$300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carp3n0ct3m, Dec 22, 2005.

1. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    Hello everyone at TB,

I need some help picking out a 5 string bass. This will be my second bass, my first bass was a used washburn XB-100 4 string bass. I've decided that I would like to have the option to play some songs of some bands I like that require a 5 string to play.

Since I bought my first bass used, I really don't know what to look for in a good 5 string or any bass for that matter. If anyone can give me some advice on choosing a new 5 string bass, it would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I've really read about choosing a 5 string bass is to make sure that the low B isn't floppy/feel like a rubber band.

Also I don't have that high of a budget, me being a poor college student and all, I can only spend around $200 - $300 on a new bass.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Justin

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. 5 string SX Jazz...and use the excess for a great set of strings...

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Aside from Figjam's advice I would also recommend you look at Peavey, Ibanez and Yamaha. All three have excellent starter 5-strings.

5. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    You can find the for about$400
    Thats what I would get

6. I second the OLP. I dont have the 5 string version, but I have the 4, and, IMO, is the best 4 under $1K, let alone under $300 (that I've ever played). Best possible bang for your buck, unless the B sucks, but that is highly dependent on string gauge. Just get strings w/ a .130" B and it'll be tight no matter what bass it is.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I disagree with the best under $1k comment, i tink you need to try a lot more basses before saying that.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Thus, the best that he's ever played.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think by saying 'is the best 4 under $1k" kind of invalidates his (that ive ever played). Thats like saying 'squier is the best bass in the world' (that ive played).

what?

11. Hahahahha.

The "What?" at the end of that post just made even more funny. :D

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Well, how about the "IMO" (in my opinion) which preceeds the comment? I mean, he puts disclaimers before and after and you still want to bust his chops over it?

Have you ever played the OLP? I've got a friend who returned a $700 Peavey 5 to pick up a $300 OLP 5 because he thought the OLP sounded and played better.

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad from OLP.

13. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    they sound to thin.If that makes sence.
    Played one and it also feels cheap.IMO

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I always recommend the Squier Precision Bass Special V for people looking in the$250 or less price range. This would be a great bass if it were $500. Check it out.

15. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    The Peavey Millenium 5 BXP seems to get decent reviews for the price point. $240 on Musician's Friend. $200 gets you one "barely used" - and the rest you can use for a case.

You can pick up an Ibanez GSR205 for $300, which seems to have decent reviews. The common complaint with it is action being crappy out of the box, but I'd suggest having a dealer order it and then they can set it up for you (unless you're interested in learning how to do it yourself). Most axes suck out of the box, because they don't want to ship them with high tension on the neck (I'm guessing). Ibanezes seem to have thinner necks (in my experience).

You also might try the Squier MB-5. For about $230, you get a bass that's getting decent reviews, and isn't immediately recognizable as a "budget" bass.

If you're interested in a cheaper 6 string, apparently the Rogue LX406 is a decent axe, which surprises me. I've never played a Rogue that I've been impressed with, but the reviews seem to be ok.

16. bassboy7

bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Chicago
    My first Fiver was the Washburn XB-125...not a bad bass for 200ish dollars. Good starter bass, and pretty much indistructible. Not bad build quality either. :) Its same thing as your 100 except better wood and better neck, as the fiver with your exact specs would be the XB-105 (its not bad, not as good :/) Any who the OLD MM3 fiver is a delicious deal for the money! I would steer clear of Ibanezes as I have heard stories of the truss rod stripping when they are tuned, becuase they are shipped detuned...never actually looked or played them, as they are not in my range...
    Just my 2 cents...now im poor :(

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Careful about disparaging an entire brand because of a story that you heard about them, especially if you have no personal experience with the alleged problem. Lots of people on here have an Ibanez, and this is the first time I have ever heard about this.

18. YAMAHA RBX 375

19. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    You'll get more bass for a used one but I've had a couple 'good ' 5 string yamaha's. An rbx775 and a bb405. Both $300 each. The rbx775 was new at GC btw. You can get them for $200 or so on ebay. It's got 2 humbuckers so it'll be quiet. Active preamp for me was why I sold it (actually traded it to a guy for a computer), no bypass for passive and really didn't have a whole lot of range to me but still a very playable bass. Wide neck so string spacing is like a four string. Solid hardware and construction. Typical yamaha.

20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Used USA made Peaveys sell on Ebay all the time for $150 - $300. These are WAY undervalued and far better instruments than new/used overseas made stuff in the same price range...