1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help choosing a preamp for IP112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mg15, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mg15

mg15 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    Hey guys, I'm brand new to this website. anyways, this weekend I'm going to buy a IP112. What Preamp would be best for it? I might buy a BBE BMAX-T tube bass preamplifier off some guy for not a whole lot of money. Is this a good choice? If not, what would be a good choice that's not too expensive?

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am going through this right now. I don't have the IP, but I do have a Focus SA and a Bergie HT112. Right now I am using a SansAmp BDDI. It's very small, light and portable which is very important for me. The sound isn't the greatest, but it is pretty good for my needs.

I have tried using just an EQ pedal. Not bad. The advice I've gotten is that although you could sound good plugging right in, you probably need something in front of it.

I'll be watching to see what suggestions you get.

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Once you spend the bread that it takes to get a Bergantino IP112, I can only imagine you need to make the budget work. But I would want the best Pre I could get my hands on with that AMAZING Bergie cab. I would contact Jim Bergantino and ask if he has any recommendations.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I thought Berg was coming out with a simple preamp?

I'd be tempted to play the IP with just an active bass and skip the preamp until I got use to the cabinet.

5. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know the BBE but I'd like to suggest you try the Tech21 SansAmp RBI. I'm using this baby for 1 year now and I don't want any other! The RBI sounds really great! Test it!

6. mg15

mg15 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    thanks guys. but does anyone have any opinions about the
    BBE BMAX-T tube bass preamplifier I might buy. Also, I know someone on this forum is selling an Alembic F-1X for around $600. And someone else is selling a Demeter VTBP-201 for 450$. are these good deals? Are they better choices than the Epifani?

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Alembic and Demeter are great sounding pre's, IMO, the Epi is better. MF has them for sell, $499.99, as noted in a post in this thread. I'll PM you, I have some items for sale I'm going to post next week.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Epifani closeout QuestII's at MF for $500 would be perfect for this IMHO.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The BBE BMax-T is great, IMO. Also, while it lists for 600 or so on Musicians Friend, I got mine for MUCH cheaper at RMC audio (formerly Rik's music). Best prices I've ever seen on them. If that's what you're interested in, I think that's the place to get them from.

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That said, IMO, any pre would work great with an IP series cab. They just refuse to sound bad, in my short experience with them.

11. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    If you're spending around 500 - 600 bucks on a used pre like the Alembic F1-X or Demeter, why not get Brian Barret's True Voice pre (www.thelowend.net)? It's 549 and seems to me that it would be one of the better uncolored preamps out there to go with the IP's. I'd get one myself, but I'm hoping that if I pester Jim enough, he'll start producing his line drivers.