I need help choosing a rock amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Well I can't go out and try amps too musch so I was wondering what amps can get me close to a tone reminiscent of Justin Chancellor,Steve Harris,Dave Ellefson. Tahnk you for all replies I appreciate it and alos I would appreciate it if it was a LOUD amp and versitile but mianly those tones thanks

CAB Also
  2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I got an svt 4pro. Works great, I pair it with the sans bddi for some more o.d. If I had to do it over again I would go with the svp pro as a preamp and the power amp of my choosing.
    The mesa boogie big block might work or something along the lines of a gk (not backline).
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Check out the kustom groove bass 1200 1200 watts of power and only 500 bones.
  4. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

at 2 ohms
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

And your point is? A head that can go down to 2 ohms is a BIG plus in my book. Offers you FAR more flexabilty as far as cabs go. Hell, you could run 2 - 4x10's and 2 - 1x15's with that one head!
  7. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    the point is if the user already has two 8 ohm cabs then he will only get 750W or whatever it is @4 ohms when he thinks he will be getting 1200W@4 ohms.

it is important because he may have to buy another 4 ohm cab just to get that power... extra expense that he may not want or isn't aware of.

the setup you elluded to (2x410 and 2x115) requires a lot of money that maybe the user doesn't have.
  8. you guys are very kind in helping me you dont need to argue to help I appreciate it either way
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What is the price range here?
  10. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    no one's arguing mate. it's all in good spirit. :)
  11. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Get the most powerful head you can on your budget and add on a preamp like Sansamp BDDI (about $180) or Hartke VXL (about $80). I spent about 2 minutes with the Sansamp at GC one day using an Ibanez SRX bass and got a crisp Chancellor-like tone in no time.

You would probably want some type of 8x10 cabinet- Mesa, Ampeg, GK are all good choices.
  12. Quadzilla

Well FYI, the Groove Bass outs out 800 watts RMS @ 4 ohms (peak is much higher) on paper and one of their engineers told me that it's more like 850ish RMS @ 4 ohms. He can also just buy 2 - 4 ohm cabs and get a full 1200 watts from the start...
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    But what is the budget?
  14. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    thats fine but what if he doesn't have the cash for extra cabs? then he needs to know that he will be getting 1200W@2ohms. what's the big deal with that?
  15. Let's see? Classic rock amp and cab? How about a Peavey Classic 400 and a Peavey 215 cab with Black Widows? That would be pretty classic in my book and would be a killer rig.
  16. Quadzilla

Ok, one Avatar 4 ohm cab to run 800 watts now (either a 4x10 or 2x12) and he can get another 4 ohm cab later to use all 1200 watts. Only $800ish shipped to his door for the head and cab, both brand new with warranty!
  17. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm on my way to getting a GK 1001RB-II head and a GK Neo 2x12 cab for playing rock.
  18. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas

Let me know how this set-up works for you, I've been contemplating the same set-up....
  19. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    unfortunately i haven't seen any of those products in Oz; if they are available i haven't seen them.

i would have loved to check out a GB before i got my GK.

sometimes it sucks living on the other side of the world... :crying:
  20. I'm so sorry forn not posting my budget I was looking at around 1500 and or more (not too much more)