1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help deciding what bass to buy, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperKoopa97, Feb 12, 2013.

1. SuperKoopa97

SuperKoopa97

Aug 3, 2012
    I am looking for a second bass guitar. I've been playing an Squier California Series Precision bass Rosewood Sunburst (I know this one isn't good) for two years. I'd say i'm 6/10 in playing level, being 1 a novice and 10 a super skilled player. I have a few issues with my Squier P. First, i don't like rosewood fretboards too much, today i tried some basses at my local store and many maple fretboard p basses sounded and felt smooth and great to me. Then, the electronics seem to be very damaged (bought it used) and i get a muddy unclear tone. I have tried Jazzes and Precisions, since other basses don't feel just as good to me. First, i used a Fender Mexican standard Precision bass, which played awesome. I liked it a lot. Love that sound and that feel. Then, i tried the Roger Waters P-bass, it had a wider neck that felt really comfortable and awesome to me, and the pickups were pretty sweet, too. Then i tried a few jazzes. The Fender American Standard jazz felt really good and sounded sweet. The neck was slim and fast and the low action was just awesome. I loved it's tonal versatily, but i found the Precision to be lighter and better suitable for my hands, but the jazz wasn't bad by any means, i liked it a lot.

So i was wondering which one should i buy now. Standard MIM P (The one i like the Body more), American standard J (The one i like the sound more) or Roger Waters P (The one with a better neck feeling to me) ? I have $ 1500 to spend

Those three are the ones i liked more. I also tried a Jaco Pastorius Fretless bass, which was AWESOME, but fretless isn't my thing, really.

I play mostly classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Rush and Pink Floyd and some Jazz too.

* I will be playing through a Hartke A25 Bass Amp for practicing

So which one you think will be better for me?

Or perhaps you've got another suggestion (I am too used to Fenders, btw:hyper:)?

Thaks in advance :bassist: Hope you can help me.

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    you should check out a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass.....

3. atomicman96

atomicman96

Jun 6, 2009
    If you have 1500 to spend, don't limit yourself to fender. Carvin makes some great basses, and you can choose the options. Lackland makes some great basses in that range (one of the ones I'm looking at for my next bass), and the Lackland has an old-school look. The MTD Kingston series is very good.

4. SuperKoopa97

SuperKoopa97

Aug 3, 2012
    I looks cool, but it hasn't a maple fretbord, which i love and feel awesome playing.