Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help deciding what head to buy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harrod182, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Harrod182

Harrod182

May 2, 2004
    hi everyone,
    i have a few heads in mind fender bassman 300Pro, Ampeg SVT-350H, MesaBoogie M-pulse Venture.
    i was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what they think or if they have one what it is like.

Currently i have a hughes and kettner bass force XXL head and an orange OBC410 Cab i was thinking of getting a 15" as well with my new head.

(i think all of these heads are better than my current it just a matter of which one).
    thanks guys for your opinions

2. monticello

monticello

Sep 30, 2004
    york, england
    i know you didnt metion it. but have a look at the ashdown ABM heads. theyre very nice. i think theyre made by the people that used to make the trace amps as well.
    go one myself and very happy with it.

3. Traynor YBA200!!!!

200 Tube watts, nice fat tone, only weighs 44 pounds, good eq section, DI,tuner out, range and scoup control, and you can get one for 550 new!

I absolutely love mine!

Traynor yba200 + Schroeder 1210 = BUTTER

4. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i used to have an Ampeg B2r which is the same as the 350, never liked it. I was always and i mean always fumbling around with the knobs and sliders between songs. I traded it in for a Mesa Walkabout. Instant love! The two tube preamp makes a world of difference. The tone is more defined. Love the portabliity too. I just think i might need a bit more power cause one of my bands has three guitarists and in my main band the second guitarist loves to invade my frequencies. I just want to be heard.
    That said i've never played out of the fender or Mesa Venture but based on my love for my Walkabout i dont think you'd go wrong with that choice. Take a look at the M-pulse 360 or 600 rack mounted versions of the Venture.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Based upon THESE, I'd be ALL OVER the M-pulse, IMHO...

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 that I use with an Aguilar GS210 and GS112. The thing I like most about the M-Pulse is that it is very easy to get a great tone. The bottom kills and the headroom is amazing!