1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help deciding which bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperKoopa97, Apr 2, 2013.

1. SuperKoopa97

SuperKoopa97

Aug 3, 2012
    I have been playing bass since 4 years. My first bass was a Squier california series P-Bass in Sunburst finish with Rosewood fingerboard, maple neck and basswood body. I've got a little Hartke A25 Bass combo for practicing, but i may buy a 100 watt version soon. My father has offered buying me a new bass guitar, since the Rosewood Precision hasn't got the tone i want and now i want to have a bass i can keep forever. The tone i want can be described as a clang, when the action is very low, the strings are low gauge and the treble knob is turned up. Somewhat like Geddy LeeĀ“s bass tone. I tried some Basses at my local store, P-Basses, J-Basses, Yamahas, Ibanez and Rickenbackers. I have seen two basses that i fell in love with, The Fender American Standard Jazz Bass, with Maple fretboard, Sunburst finish and tortoise shell pickguard and the Rickenbacker 4003 with finished rosewood fretboard and Fireglo finish. The Fender is around $1200 and the Rick is like $1600. This basses are so different, i love the feel of the Jazz, but the looks of the Rick. Both have excellent sounds, IMO. I would also like my bass to be as versatile as possible, since sometimes i am playing progressive rock, sometimes metal and sometimes jazz. Which one of this two will be the better option? Price is not an issue. I may buy the other one in four years or so. These two basses are gorgeous!!:bassist:

Thanks in advance. Hope you can help me with my doubts.

PS: Don't suggest me other basses, since the only thing you will do is confuse me even more ;)

2. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    I know you said not to suggest other basses, but since you like the Jazz, and Geddy Lee's tone, why not a Geddy Lee Signature Jazz?

3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Hey Geddy played a Ric, too. Take your pick and practice, practice, practice. The Jazz would be my choice, however.

4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Do not look for advice from us. Go back to the store and spend a good hour playing each bass. Also bring your own bass to go back and forth. Pick up the bass with the most comfortable neck, the one on which you flow the best.

Both are great basses but ultimately it's not about the bass, it's all about how you play on the best bass.

Between the two, I would pick up the jazz. However I think a P bass is the best bass one can have if you only have one bass. I hear protestation already from Jazz and Ric lovers but that's my opinion.

5. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    I have my biases (as you can certainly figure out) but if this is going to be your "main". . . go for the one that is the most fun to play. Or sounds best. The one that you wake up at night thinking about.

You really *cannot* make a bad decision if neither bass is a lemon. Especially if the Rick feels decent and not godawful in your hands - you will get used to it quickly.

Here's a trick I sometimes pull on myself when I need to make a big decision. I flip a coin, and assign one side to each option. In this case, Rick = Heads, Jazz = Tails. I pretend that the decision will absolutely come down to the coin flip. I flip it a few times and see what my reaction is when either side comes up. If Tails comes up twice in a row and I'm disappointed, I go with the Rick. If the Tails result feels "right" however, that would tell me to get the jazz. It's a bit cheesy but it works as a process of discernment.

I wish I had problems like this !;)

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

From what you've said, I'd go for the Jazz.

I'd be lying if I didn't make some of my purchasing decisions based on looks. (just check out my club affiliations below) I'm an on-again-off-again artist, so esthetics constantly inform a lot of my decisions. That being said, no matter how pretty an instrument is, if it doesn't feel right it might impact how much you actually play it. Or to put it simply, form is nice…function is better.