I need help deciding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by y0shimitzu, May 15, 2012.

1. y0shimitzu

y0shimitzu

Apr 6, 2008
    Kenosha Wi.
    so I need to swap out the pickup on my bass. I hate the pickups in it. It is a Traben chaos core. so it has 2 Lakland sized musicman pickups in it.

I cant decide....

a pair of Delano MC 5 FE/J's and just do a direct swap and get the hum canceling nice and easy...

or a pair of Delano Xtender HE's rout the body and find a way to hide the extra bits as the Laklands are about 1 cm longer then the xtenders... is the tone that different between the 2?:meh:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Are these the 'wider' MusicMan 5 string pickups? I see no reason to route anything. There are plenty of those pickups available as direct drop in.

Bartolini (warning..they use an odd screw pattern)
    Carvin
    SGD (what I use in my Brubaker Brute)
    Nordstrand

All make excellent drop-ins. Not trying to steer you away from Delano...I have the 4 string version in my Warwick. Phenomenal pickup! Just pointing out there are plenty out there to choose from without routing.

3. y0shimitzu

y0shimitzu

Apr 6, 2008
    Kenosha Wi.
    yes it is the wider musicman pickup and not to mention I am looking for quad coils so I can split them.. So there are fewer options but yes. I really like the sound the delano xtenders, but I am not sure it is worth routing and doing all the work involved for a minor change is sound... or at least what I think would be a minor change in sound over the std MM pup.

Has anyone out there used both of these pickups that can make a comparison.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. y0shimitzu

y0shimitzu

Apr 6, 2008
    Kenosha Wi.
    I am order the SGD's tonight I just wont bother with the quad coil. not figure out the wiring... I am remodeling my electronics completely.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The direct replacement drop in delanos sound like wonderful choice to me.

7. y0shimitzu

y0shimitzu

Apr 6, 2008
    Kenosha Wi.
    yeah I couldnt find them in stock any where. bestbassgear had one.. I talked to Dave about a pair. he had them on the shelf. so I already paid the man. I have really liked the SGD pickup I have heard.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021