1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help finding a good tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    Hey all, I have an Ibanez SR506 which was equipped with Bartolini MK1's. I enjoyed the way they sounded, but I needed a little more output and something more versatile. My biggest issue regarding tone is that I have one sound that I really really like. I'm a Jaco cat. I love the sound of the bridge pickup on full, treble cut and slight bass with mid boost. The fretted Jaco sound.
    After upgrading to EMGJX pickups on this same bass, I still get that sound and perhaps even more so but I have one big issue with it.

I don't want to copy someone elses bass tone, especially since you hear guys go for that Jaco sound all of the time. Hadrien Feraud, Federico Malaman, Jeff Berlin and the list goes on and on. I don't want to be that guy.

The big reason why I enjoy that tone is because you can get the clarity of the bridge pickup position and by cutting the highs; you get very little finger noise. The mids add punch and more clarity - definition to the notation. It's a sound that works really well and there is a reason why people use it.

As for using both pickups on full, I really dislike that tone. I can already feel the hate coming on for admitting that, but I just can't stand it. Can someone help me to understand why it may be beneficial to use both PUPs on full? Its that throaty sound of 'being right in the middle' that drives me nuts. If I could go stereo, with each pickup having its own output, that would be another thing.

Can someone recommend some tone/eq settings for me? Thanks again!

Thank you again!

2. That's bass guitar related stuff, isn't it?
    And it has been posted in the double bass section.

3. fred191

fred191

Nov 10, 2015
    Your post is quite contradicting. Simplified, I understand your post to be "I want the Jaco sound, but I don't want the Jaco sound."

Coming from the perspective of a bass teacher I would urge you to play and eq your bass in the manner you enjoy the most. Don't worry about 'sounding' like Jaco.

A separate point to make I feel I should express my skepticism at you sounding like jaco with a fretted bass. A HUGE part of his tone had to do with no frets. If your bass has frets it won't sound similar to me.
    Fredrico fretted
    Fredrico fretless

Lastly, my recommendation for bass tone is a much more modern sound. Strong Deep, Cut Low Mids, Boosted High Mids, Cut Super High

In my opinion this type of EQ sounds good with my bass and style. Here is a crappy video quality of myself , However, it might show you an alternative example to possible sounds you can get.

Lastly, if you want to do a little bit of listening check out Scott's Bass Lessons. He talks about the most important aspect of bass tone.... your fingers!!!

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice playing. Interesting use of the thumb -- I do a bit of that -- and use the thumb a lot in fingerpicking, palm muting, and some other variations -- but I don't think I've integrated it in lines quite the way you have. You've given me some ideas to try.

OP, you mention not liking both pickups up full. Have you considered favoring one or the other slightly? If your tone is Jaco influenced, I don't think that's a problem -- there's a difference between being influenced by someone and trying slavishly to copy him. Experiment -- try different things and see what you like and what works for you in different situations. If you feel you need to get away from "your sound" for awhile, that's okay, too -- you might come back to it with some new perspective, or you might put a twist on it, integrating some other influences.

I think I liked the Federico fretless clip more than the fretted!