Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help finding a synth pedal that can:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by reggaeman, Mar 2, 2006.

1. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I am looking for an synth effects pedal that will keep the dry sound of the bass while adding a second voice to the bass without distortion. I am trying to duplicate the sound of a keyboard player playing alongside the bass player. Is there anything out there that can do this?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You could achieve this using a separate box.

3. walle

walle

Mar 2, 2006
    Sweden
    Have you tryed the Boss SYB-3 or 5 effects?? They sounds great.

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Boss SYB pedals are probably the easiest to find, but you'll want a compressor in front of them as you cannot set the input sensitivity (like you can on the Deep Impact). They're ornery critters, prone to tracking errors, but the hold mode is fun - often compared to using Taurus pedals or similar.

5. i don't know of any, but you could probably get a splitter box, and send one line to the synth of your choice, and then have a clean bass running along side. I think there is a loooper that can be used in that way...

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Remember that the main phychological cues indicating to a listener that two SEPERATE musicians are playing in-unison have to do with pitch and time/phase relationships between the two sounds.

The cheapest, simplest way that I know of to achieve these critical cues is with the Boss CEB-3 chorus pedal -- It's what I've referred to as "the UniBoss method". When you run both of the outputs from the CEB-3, one of them is a straight-through, un-touched signal, and the other is time-shifted and pitch-modulated.

This would make the CEB-3 the perfect "splitter" to use for this purpose. Whatever you put the signal to next - to change its sound to a more keyboard-like one, like you want - would certainly benefit from these phase and pich shifts in the waveform.

Joe

7. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    That sounds like a great idea! Thanks :) I'll have to go down to GC and check that out.