Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need Help From The Atlanta TalkBass Crew

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jun 24, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm going to be in Peachtree City in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you guys could suggest a few dealers with a good inventory of various basses. I would love to try a Fender FMT Jazz, a Peavey Cirrus with woods other than the Bubinga/Walnut combination, a Peavey Grind, anything from MTD or Lakland and anything else that I can get my hands on! ;) Is there some one stop shopping or can you run down a list of a few stores that I might have a good time at? Thanks. :)

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm not familiar with any places on the south end. We've got a Guitar Center off I-85 at N. Druid Hills Rd, and a couple of Mars stores. Atlanta Discount Music in Chamblee used to carry some higher end stuff, although I haven't been there in years. Ken Stanton Music is also up on the north end of town. Any of you south-side guys got any info?

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks John. I might be mistaken but I assumed that Peachtree City would be near the north perimeter and Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Am I wrong? If my assumptions are correct, the N. Druid Hills and the Chamblee store wouldn't be that far out of the way. At least that's what I think if my memory of that area is correct.

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Nope, Peachtree City is about 30 miles southwest of Atlanta, off I-85.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Oops! That's a road trip. If the traffic is cool it might not be that bad. It's been 13+ years since I've been to Atlanta. I need to look at a few maps so that I can get my bearings again. Thanks for correcting me John. ;)

6. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    No problem! I thought about inviting you for dinner, but I live in Grayson ('bout 45 minutes EAST of Atlanta, which would probably be about an hour and a half minimum from where you are! (And we're still considered "metro Atlanta area":D)

7. Sorry ebozzz. I don't know too much about the south end of town either. The closest thing I can think of is the Guitar Center on I-85 and N. Druid Hills.

Lisa

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Lisa,

Thanks for trying to help anyway. :) I've been looking on the net and so far nothing that I've found in that area has my interest peaked. It looks like I'm going to have to do a little driving if I want to find anything.

John,

That's very nice of you to even think about inviting me to dinner. I'm coming there for a family get together that we usually have every two years. The location varies and the last time that it was in Atlanta was back in '86. It's probably going to tough for me to even try to sneak away for a trip to check out gear as the organizers usually keep us pretty busy with scheduled events.

9. Hey ebozzz,
    South of Atlanta, the only place I know of is Tara Music, in Jonesboro. It's off the Griffin/Jonesboro (19/41) exit of I-85, I forget which exit number it is. They have some OK stuff.. Fender, budget Spectors, etc. I haven't been there in a while so maybe their inventory has improved. If you really want to play some stuff, though, you need to come up to the city.. Guitar Center off N. Druid Hills, Midtown Music, Atlanta Discount, all those places.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    pacman used to live in that section of town - why don't you drop him an email?

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Right on Dave! Which would have the best selection out of the places you named? I'll probably only get to make it to one unless they are pretty close together.

JT, I'll contact pacman. Thanks. Hey, wait a minute! What happened to pinhead? :D

12. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hmmm...I can almost see it now...(idea forming)...

"Welcome to this year's family reunion. As you know, Ebozz has graciously volunteered to head up today's family activity outing. Let's see what he has lined up for us today...oh how nice...a new gear shopping orgy. Oh, do hurry, Aunt Edna, the bus leaves in 15 minutes!"

(think they'll fall for it?;) )

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hah! :D I've got an Aunt Edna! She wouldn't take to kindly to me rushing her. I'd get cracked up side the head with the cane! LOL!

My best shot at it happening is Saturday night. Everyone usually arrives on a Thursday. Friday is full of sightseeing followed by a banquet that evening. Saturday's activites will be a picnic but there's usually nothing scheduled for the evening. On Sunday morning there's a group breakfast before everyone departs.

Yep, it looks like Saturday is the day as long as we make it back from the picnic before the stores close. Here in Denver they tend to close early on Saturday. Maybe I convince them that the Guitar Center is a tourist attraction so that I can squeeze a stop into the plans for Friday........ :D ;)