Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help from the DR Hignbeam users!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hyoshim, Dec 1, 2004.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The cautionary note says that I need to crimp the string at 45 degree angle just below the cut line. Now I have two questions: 1) Is this before I cut the string to length? Or, after?, and 2) How do you insert the string into the hole in the tuner post? This may be dumb sounding question but it does not say what to do after the cut. Is it ok to uncrimp another 45 degree to make it at right angle after the cut so I can insert the string in the tuner post?

Thanks,

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've never crimped mine before I cut them. Never had a problem. They sound. play and last fine for me.

3. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Interesting... Someone in the forum actually advised that we need to follow the direction carefully since Highbeam is round core. I guess the concern is that it may unravel if you are not careful. I dunno... Thanks for the reply by the way.

4. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    This is what I did whenever I use DR strings (or any string in general):

I always measured to length, then bent it after that. Then I cut after the bend a little bit and put that bent end into the tuner post into the hole and then wind up. (Most tuning pegs have holes in the slots.)

I guess YMMV on this one (given my answer varies from the previous person's response)

5. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    So.. it is before cutting then?

6. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Yeah.. otherwise you may not have enough length to wind up the string..

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    If you don't have enough length don't cut so much off...?

8. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Oh, I have plenty of length. I think I was just trying to say if he was going to try it my way, it's probably better to bend then cut, or there might not be enough. I could always bend after cutting too, I just have to make sure I leave enough string for the bending.

I dunno. Whatever works, right?

9. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I received following response from DR. Great service, got response back in less than 24 hour.

"You would do this before cutting so as to not separate the core from the wrap wire."

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yeah, the whole point in bending the string is so that it doesnt unravel after you cut it to length.

Decide where you are gonna snip the sucker. Bend it just before where you are gonna snip it. Snip it. Stick it in the hole (straighten out the bend a bit if you need to to get it in the hole) and wind it up.

Simple.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ah, I get it now :D.