Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need help getting "action"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    this is probably my 10th post about my new fender jazz. but hey i got questions. i've been playing for years but on the same bass so i have limited gear knowledge.

anyway. how does everyone here have their action set on their basses. on my stingray i have it about as low as you can go. it feels perfect super super low and no buzz. when i got my fender in the mail the action was very high. the book said it is set to optimum height before shipping. to me it feels way to high. it feels like more work to play. i'm wondering how everyone out there has their action set. does the action affect the tone much?

anyone have any tips for setting the action. should i let a professional do it. on my stingray, which i've had for years, i just would bend the neck and mess with the bridge height settings till it felt good. i really have no idea what i was doing.

????????????????????????????????

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    If you're wanting "action," the first step would be to get away from your computer for a while ;)

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i am beyond help in that category.

come on guys i need some advice before i go home for the weekend.;)

4. My RIC's action is as low as humanly possible...quite comfy to play.
    But when i switch to one of my 4 P-basses i notice a huge difference. They are much higher and a bit more of a workout.
    All Fenders i have played though generally came with somewhat high action,(higher than alot of other basses i find anyway)

I usually set the action myself by just lowering the strings till i find a comfy height.
    Works for me.

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    To second B'Aces High's opinion, all the Fenders that I've ever played had higher-than-average action as well. You could try taking it to your local music shop and asking them but if it's already been set up then I'm afraid that's as low as your action can get. One last thing: you could try checking out the "Setup" forum and searching for "shimming."

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what do you mean "set up" can't i bend the neck till the strings are closer.

like i said i know nothing about adjusting my guitar. for years i've just been fiddling with my stingray's neck and bridge till it feels good. am i doing some wrong?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, if your 'Ray is still playable then I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just be VERY VERY careful and patient when making trussrod adjustments... a 1/4 turn will often give you all you need! It's very easy to damage a neck by over-tightening the truss rod... I know people who have done that (not me, thank goddess).

A "set up" is when a tech adjusts your instrument's action and intonation and tuning and gives it an overall once-over to make sure nothing's wrong. These are all things you can do yourself (if you know what you're doing), but again, truss rod adjustments have to be done with caution.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This is more of a topic for the Setup forum.

Moved.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    To set your action, get a small metal ruler. pick a fret and measure the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. Make sure all the strings have the same measurement at the same place you measured the first string. Also make sure both adjusters of the saddle are the same height so the saddle itself isnt crooked. As for the height you set it to... thats up to you. I would not recomment changing your action with truss rod adjustments.

10. You need to read
    [​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    after screwing around myself i took it to a professional. it plays sweet now.......really sweet.