1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help hooking up two cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erodus, Jun 6, 2007.

1. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I have two 8 ohm cabs, I want to pair them up to make 4 ohms for my amp. But I forgot where to plug the speaker cables in the cabs. Both cabs are mesa powerhouse cabs and there are 2 1/4" inputs on each cab: one labeled 8 ohm in, and the other labeled paralleled out. Since I'll be hooking them both up I'm not sure where to to plug. thanks

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your two 8 ohm cabs will become a 4 ohm load with both of your options.

By connecting both cabs speaker cables to the amp directly.
    Or if you just connecting one to your amp, and then the second cab to the firsts ones, parallel output jack.
    (I always just plug-em both in at the amp)

3. +1 on above post. Don't matter which way U plug 'em -either both from the amp or "daisy chain" -plug into one cab from amp out, then from 'paralel out' on cab to the next cab. =still if both cabs are 8 ohms, either way U'll end up with a 4 ohm load & a BIG sound!

4. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I see. Thanks guys

5. So, let's see if I understand -

I've got a 300w head at 4 ohms

If I plug that into one speaker cab rated at 4 ohms, the speakers will have to handle 300 watts.

If I want to connect 2 cabs to it, they should both be 8 ohm speakers at 300 watts. If I run two 4 ohms at 300 watts speakers into it, they'll only put out 150 watts each.

Please advise if this is incorrect. Thanks!

6. Incorrect - sort of

One 4 ohm cab will be capable of running at the 300 watt rating from the head.

Two 8 ohm cabs is the same 4 ohm load, and they will be getting the 300 watt load split between them. Each 8 ohm cab does not need to be able to handle the whole 300 watts.

Two 4 ohm cabs gives you a load of 2 ohms - which your amp will not handle, so don't do it.

7. Thank you! Therefore, what I need to do is have a 4 ohm 300 watt cab that can be used by itself, and 2 8 ohm 300 watt cabs to be used as a rig.

If this is true, my next impossible task is explaining to my wife that I have to sell the two cabs I have to buy three.....:bag: Definite proof once again that my motto (in my signature) is an enduring truth....

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I would either get one 4 ohm cab that can handle at least 500 watts, or two 8ohm cabs that can handle at least 250 watts ea. That way you are not going to drive the cabs too hard. JMHO

9. LowDog

LowDog

Jul 6, 2005
    I agree with jtc, but if your existing cabinets will handle 200 watts each, I would use the existing rig and use one for small gigs and two for bigger jobbs. This is if you are happy with your present sound and if it covers the room. If you mainly go through the house PA on larger gigs you should be fine.

I buy my wife something at least a week and a half before I ask for a new rig, bass, etc.

I hope this helps,

LowDog

10. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    If you've got the two 8 ohm cabs, don't even worry about adding a 4 ohm. Just use one 8 ohm when it seems more convenient, and both when you want to really grunt. Of, course, if you're looking for an excuse to get a third cab, you've got that now, too. Either way.

11. That's the prob -

I've got two 4 ohm cabs...

If you can recommend two 8 ohm cabs (one with a 15 and the other with 2 10s) that won't give me a hernia (no joke) every time I try to lift them AND that won't cost an arm and a leg (to mention more body parts), I'd appreciate it. Then I can try to get rid of the beasts I have.

Am I correct in assuming that I can use, then, just one of the 8 ohm/300watt cabs in smaller settings, or should the wattage be different (especially if I'm also looking to upgrade to a more powerful head)?

Thanks again!

Z

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021