Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help.. i want a cheap 4 string bass. can u tell me the name of one??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punk_Princess19, Sep 13, 2001.

1. I only want to pay max of $$700 (Canadian) on a bass and amp. I only want a 15 watt amp. Can Ya name some brands or websites that i can check out?!?!? :rolleyes: ;) Any help will help... DUH!! :cool:

2. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....you can get MIM Fenders for pretty cheap....
    ...and from what people say , they are pretty good players, for the $$.

Good Luck
    Stay Low
    Peter

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

There is currently a closeout deal on Deamond Pilot Pros at Musician's Friend. They are $169 US (original list of $699, MF was selling them for $420). They are good basses but do have a 35" scale length (regular scale length is 34") so if you have small hands that may not be a good way to go. In fact you may want to go the other way and look for a medium (32" scale length) or short (30" scale length) bass. Scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge and a shorter scale length means the frets are closer together and easier to play.

MTD Kingston and Heir basses are nice $459 and $599 US respectively. Fernandes and Yamaha make good quality, not too expensive basses as well. Mexican Fenders are liked by some.

Used is the best value for your money. However you need to know enough to be able to avoid the junk - if you have an experienced friend to help pick over the stuff you can get the most value.

The bunnybass website has some info on basses for girls (making an assumption based on your user name) http://bunnybass.com/girls01.shtml

Don't cheap out on the bass but if you can get a combo with 100W or so you will find it useful for a when you want to play with others.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    One word:

Fender MIM(Made in Mexico) Precision Bass

ok, maybe were more than one word.......

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second the dearmond idea. my pilot plus V is killer EXCEPT for the lack of volume on the B string. but with a 4 string, you won't have to worry about that.

also, i believe the plus is 34" scale, the pro is 35".

jason

6. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    just a yamaha RBX260 is very nice it cost only 400$ and you can buy a custom(this is the name of it) 100w amp for only 450$ if you can afford this litlle diferens it will be nice

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I would definitely consider the Pilot Pro. It's the best deal around right now......not often can you get a $420 bass for $169.;)

Here is a pic of the one I just bought.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    At this point, yeah, the Pilot might be worth some attention.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree with Deynn. Those Pilots have got to be the best deal out there right now. The most inexpensive real bass you can get.

10. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    for 250 you can get a Washburn XB-100. its a good beginner bass.
    While i dont know if Turock consideres it a real bass it does play and sonds pretty good. But if you lookin for dirt Cheap. Sam Ash www.samash.com
    Has the same Pilots for bout the same price and a little bit more of a selection