1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help Identifying old pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Isotonic, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I used to build basses for fun, but stopped about 9 years ago. I just joined a band again and I am going through my old pickup collection to see what I might use for a new Frankenbass.

I don't remember any of these pickups. It's been a while. Can you help me identify them?

:help:

Attached Files:

2. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Okay, here are a couple more.

Attached Files:

3. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    So far, a set of unknown Jazz pickups and an unknown P pickup. Note the rounded bobbin on one half of the P and also the number on the other.

Attached Files:

4. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I think this might be from the 70s

Attached Files:

5. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Another old looking bridge J...

Attached Files:

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the P pickup in post #3 is made from two Fender halves (maybe not originally together), and the J in post #4 is a Fender, maybe a Geddy Lee or similar (because of the DCR reading and PE wire).

7. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    What do you mean by PE wire? Are you talking about the wound wire of the leads?

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    PE = Plain Enamel That's the auburn/purplish magnet/coil wire, not the leads.

A lot (not all) of copper colored magnet wire is Formvar, Fender used that as well.

9. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I was wondering why the wire was that color. Thanks!