1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help identifying these marks. Pbass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Droog, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hey everyone,

Its been quite a while since I was last on TB, but figured this would be a good place to start.

I'm doing some work on my buddies Pbass. It appears to be Fender and certainly has fender HW and Pickups, but when I popped the neck off this is what I found. I am by no means an authority on these things, but this does not look Fender to me. No stamp on the end of the neck either. However the headstock does have an appropriate decal that dates to 74/75 which matches the bobbins which appear legit. Pickguard is definitely aftermarket (Chandler) and the pots seem to be too (one is CTS from 77 the other is obscured by solder)

Whatever this is, it seems to have undergone its transformation in the later 70's I'm thinking. Its a cool bass really, sounds and plays nice, we've just been thinking its a straight up genuine Fender for years. Today I'm suspecting not.

What do you all think? Thanks a lot!

Phil

AaronsPbass.jpg

2. When I had my Fender Cowpoke, I took off the neck one time to get at the truss rod, and the markings on the butt of the neck were hand-written, whereas the ones in that picture look like someone had a stamp with ink on it. It may not be that way for all Fenders, but that's my experience with them.