I need help identifying this 3/4 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allhaileris, Feb 10, 2006.

1. allhaileris

Feb 10, 2006
    I've been trying to figure this out for years. Nobody has been able to tell me what type of bass this is, and there are no identifying marks. Some idiot told me it was a Fender years ago, and I know that's totally wrong. Somebody told me it might be a Kay, but I havent' seen anything to match what I've seen. Any clues?

It was purchased in about 86 and I've had possesion of it since. I know it was used then, so my best guess is that it's a 70's-early 80's model.

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

looks like a teisco.
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep, that or one of the many other brands coming out of the same factories back then.

Also, I'm gonna guess it's good bit older than you're saying, like '60-somethin.
  4. allhaileris

Feb 10, 2006
    Yeah, my best guess is that it's a Fender imposter. I looked up the Teisco and it doesn't look right.

The 60's era might be a better fit for the style.

I'll keep looking.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...the short scale and unbranded "factory" look suggest a beginners bass from the 60's...and if thats right, the condition is remarkable!
  6. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, Teisco made a whooole bunch of different models, many of which weren't labeled or had other brands on the headstock, but essentially came from the same group of companies and factories.
  7. allhaileris

Feb 10, 2006
    So it'll most likely be one of these brands?
    Heit, Kent, Kimberly, Kingston, Silvertone, Teisco and Teisco Del Rey.

Any of these it won't be so I won't waste my time?

And it sounds like I should be looking for "short scale" and not 3/4?
  8. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    You can rule out Silvertone - they were made by Danelectro in the 60s.

I'm going along with the other guys - 60s to early 70s made, most probably (99%) Japanese, and 200% NOT Fender!!! Whoever told you it was a Fender had been on the pipe too much that day!

You could also try names like Sakai, Jedson, Jenson - unfortunately, there's literally dozens, if not hundreds, of names to look at.
  9. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    You can probably eliminate Silvertone and maybe Kent. Kingston, Teisco, and Heit are all possibilities, and I actually haven't heard of Kimberly before, so it could be that too.:meh:
  10. mountain drew

mountain drew

Nov 6, 2003
    I had a bass exactly like that in 1977. :hyper:
    I ordered it through the Sears catalog plus a small amp with an 8" speaker. It was branded "Magnum" as was the amp. You can find them on ebay every once in a while. The only thing missing on that one is the Magnum logo on the headstock, other than that it's exactly like the one I ordered. :)
  11. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Try looking in the neck pocket? At least for a date.
  12. allhaileris

Feb 10, 2006
  13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Having had a couple Teiscos, I am pretty man sure that what you have is in fact a Teisco. I'ev not had this exact model, but they made tons of different models for the names mentioned earlier in this thread and prob several others too. The bass just screams Teisco. I'd be willing to bet 1/3rd of my left nut to a Sadowsky on that!
  14. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    That's a straight Precision copy - 34" neck, typical Fender. It's really not anything like the bass you've got.
  15. SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    I sell churros
    Heh, funny that I would find this thread today; my own, very similar but slightly different short-scale cheap bass just came in the mail today. I don't have any pictures of my own, but here are two from the seller. The first thing I did with this bass was dismantle it, and the neck pocket, aside from containing a folded and ancient business card from Russo's Music Shop in New Jersey, (?), also included the date on the neck of '68. If anybody recognizes this specific bass, please let me know, too.

Attached Files:

16. I say KINGSTON,(same as tiesco i think)I have one very close to this and it has an EMBLEM that could easily have fallen off but,then again ,so does tiesco.
  17. Theleftybassman

May 18, 2008
    I found a bass a few days back (in a garbage can) that looks very close to your's. It's blue, but has the same tuners, bridge, pick guard, body style, and pickup. My headstock however is more of a music-man style instead of fender, with MAGNUM printed on it. (the headstock is painted blue to match the body) I think we have the same bass, but someone changed your neck. unfortunately, the only additional information i have is that it's made in Korea, and serial number W.O. 20984 (printed on stickers on the back of the headstock)
  18. GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Norma by Tiesco $39 new back in the day

19. Looks EXACTLY like my first bass my father bought for me YEEEAAARSSS ago, although the headstock shape on mine is different and is clearly marked "Kent". Mine was made in Japan. Still works and feels like a toy when I occassionally take it out and play around on it. The little guy actually sounds pretty good. I'm planning on putting it on my bench this weekend to clean up the electronics a bit....40 years old and it has some scratchy pots...go figure...lol.

20. jbarn

Nov 19, 2014
    This was also my first bass. Mine was unbranded and finished exactly like the one in the picture posted by allhaileris. My parents ordered it from the Sears Wishbook catalog in 1977 (see attached ad) and gave it to me for Christmas, along with the bass amp. These basses were made by Teisco and branded with multiple names.

I never liked the sound or the way it played much, and regrettably I got rid of the bass only a few years later. I recently picked up a somewhat weathered but obviously often-played Kent version of the same model, which I plan on modifying with a new pickup, pick guard and pots. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can really do this time around.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Ewok likes this.