Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help IMMEDIATELY!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, May 3, 2003.

1. Ok heres my situation:
    we have a drummer available to jam today(we have been searching for one forever so this is VERY important) but my amp stopped working last night. My friend was playing wierd keyboard things into it and it went "pop" and turned off. Upon inspection, i found that i couldnt turn it back on. Could this just be a fuse? Is it fixable by this afternoon? PLEASE help me ASAP!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Try the fuse. More info would be helpful: what kind of amp? Tube, solid state, carrot power?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Manufacturer, model, and any more details will help. How old is it? Did you buy it used or new?

You should defiantely pull the fuse and see if it's burned. If it is take it with you to the electronics shop to make sure you get the right replacement.

4. Its an Ampeg BA115 combo amp. I bought it new 1.5 years ago.

5. This is probably a stupid question, but how do i go about pulling the fuse?

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    A couple of major options for fuse replacement:

One is a small black knob that you twist off; normally found on the back. After you remove the cap the fuse is a glass and metal cylinder about an inch log under the cap.

The other is a red plastic "door" about 1/2" square that has a slot in it for a screwdriver. Open it by turning the slot and out comes the fuse.

There may also be fuses inside the amp, but to find those you would have to remove the electronics section from the speaker cabinet section. I can't really describe that without having the amp in front of me.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not stupid at all. A lot of people here have that amp. If one of them doesn't tell you where to find it, you could probably call the music store you bought it at for advice on where it is.

8. I dont see either of those. Does anyone here have a BA115?

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The manual is at:

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/BA-115.PDF

(but it's useless)

If it's built like my B-100r (I think it is) you can remove the back panel from the electronics section with a Phillips screwdriver and see inside the guts of it. Any fuses inside should be visible and being held against the circuit board in sheet metal clips.

10. Ok I'll try that, thanks a lot.

11. ok i have it open, how do i know id the fuse is blowm, what will it look like(it is clear and i can see through it)?

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Look through the round glass part, there should be a very thin sometimes spiraly type wire that runs the length of the glass. It's probably a agc type fuse and voltage and amps rating is on the silver end part. You must replace the fuse with the Exact rating.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Take it/them to Radio Shack and get more just like it. Put in a new one and keep the rest as spares ($3). If it works, it was a bad fuse and the old one goes in the trash.

14. I just got back from getting a new one and i installed it. I turn it on and it worked for about an 8th of a second and blew again. What's happening?

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    One possibility is that you got a fuse that can not handle the current drawn by your amp.

Another possibility is that the fuse blowing is a symptom, not the cause.

If you are sure you have the right fuse, you need to take your amp in for service. I think it would be under warranty with Ampeg since it is only 18 months old or so.

16. Its the right fuse, im sure of that. how much do you think it will cost to have my amp checked out? I still have to get my other amp checked out. All my stuff breaks. Maybe i'm just cursed or something.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Possibily of output transitor damage or IC damage. stop do no more and take it to the nearest shop. This is a symtom of too much current, don't try to you a fuse rated higher than what came out. you can use one lower but not higher. Being that your fuse blew you definatly have an internal problem. The fuse is designed to protect the equipment from internal power surges and yours is no longer being protected. Off to the shop it goes!

18. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If after replacing your fuse it still blows, your amp NEEDS SERVICING. I would take it back to where you purchased it for a warranty repair. They might have a loaner or a rental amp? Maybe you can plug your bass into the PA for todays Jam?? This kind of thing is the reason most bassists have a backup amp. Good luck!

19. I guess it'll be going to the shop then, thanks for all the help.

BTW - This is my backup amp.

20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I think Ampeg has a 5 year warranty:D :D :D