Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need help knowing supplys i need please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    i am currently ordering noiseless jazz bass pickups made by fender. these pickups have active eq. im planning on putting them on a fender mex. jazz V. does the pickup just install by it self or do i need to by a preamp or something like that. im really clueless when it comes to actives and passives or whatever. so if theres anything you feel i need to buy (pots, preamp, knobs, battery holster, etc.) then feel free to reply, i need to know as much as i can about this.
    thank you

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If those pups come with nothing but the pups you may be able to get by with nothing but a battery clip ($3 from radio shack for a 3 pack). If the pups are active they'll have a built in preamp. I had a couple sets of Duncan active EQ Js and I dropped them straight into a stock Ibanez GSR 200 only adding a battery clip and they worked great. And the pots were stock 500 k audio pots, not 25k. I'd try it that way first and if there seems to be any wierd frequency stuff going on, maybe change the volume pot out but I doubt you'll need to.