I need help learning songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warwickben, Jan 30, 2002.

1. i was born all most def .around the age of 6 or 7 i got my hearing back,got a metal bone put in my ear drum to replace the part i was missing due to some thing that was growing in my ear drum that ate away at the bone that was there(pretty common thing) ,i am 16 now and have like 95%+ i cant hear really high pitch stuff and i have a problem
    no matter how hard i try i cant figure out how to play songs just by playing them over and over on my cd player to them with my bass in my hands. any help is good
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    benjamintowle, is that you?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, it is.

Ben, I wish I knew what to say or suggest. If you have hearing problems, you may never be able to play by ear. Maybe one of our Doctor's will check in with a suggestion.

Seems like JimK talks about being tone deaf, if he is not being facetious, maybe he could offer some input.
  4. Is it that you can't hear the bass line in the song or that you can't tell a D from an A?

If it is the first one welcome to the club, I can't do that either on most songs. Even if i know what the notes are because I have seen the notation and been practicing the song i loose the sound of the bass as I am listening to it. I have found that the bass line in a lot of music I listen to is overwhelmed by the other instruments, maybe you should look for music where the Bass is more pronounced to practice picking out the notes.

Also being able to tell the difference between a D and an A is not all that easy for me either. If the guitar player that I practice with hits an A and doesn't tell me what note he is playing I have to pluck a few notes before I hit the A. I have gotten better at it over the last few months because I practice doing that.

As a final note I would just like to say that you really inspire me, don’t give up.

PS: Embellisher may be right also, but I believe there are tests to see if you are tone deaf so you may want to consult your doctor.
  5. i am not tone deaf.i just cant play by ear because of the metal bone in my ear drum like higher pitch sounds sound diffent.but what iam asking is (which i forgot to ask so sorry)how do you guys go about it
  6. i am not tone deaf. i cant hear higher pitch sounds doesnt really affect me .i kinda forgot to ask what i wanted to ask . how do you go about learning a song from playing the song over and over.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ben, I wasn't suggesting that you were tone deaf, I was just thinking that if there is someone else on the board with hearing difficulties they might be able to give you some tips and help.

As for telling you how I do it, I wish I knew how to put it into words. I hear music, and within the first or second note I play on the bass, I figure out what key the song is in, then play along with it to learn the chord progression, and once I have that down, set about dissecting the bass line.
  8. ok i didnt think you were saying iwas.i was saying i wasnt.i guess i like learn how to figure songs out as i get better at bass.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    In other words -

You are capable of hearing, you just need help to learn how to figure out tunes.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, first of all you have a working knowledge of bass. A beginner can't just pick up a bass and expect to hear notes right off.

If you've already accomplished that, the next thing to do is to make sure you have a stereo that has VERY good bass. If you have a Discman with crappy headphones, that's not gonna cut it if you're trying to learn songs the first time. Find a decent stereo.

Next, get your bass, and make sure it is tuned correctly. Then, play the part of the song that you're trying to learn. Play it a couple of times over and over, then get your bass, and try and find the first note of the song. Match the note of the song to the note on your bass. Then, work from there. Any knowledge of theory will help greatly, because you will be able to hear the changes and know what your choices are and are not for the next note.

Hope this helps!

Good luck.

Edit: Another thing....start easy. Don't attempt to learn "Teen Town" the first time you sit down and try, 'k?;)
  11. Maybe you should just start practicing regular ear training stuff. It sounds like you are listening to this recordings over and over and are trying to play them without a concept. The main thing when you train your ear is to learn how to distinguish intervalls. It often helps when you sing or hum the notes. It doesn't matter if you sing/hum with a nice voice. It even doesn't matter if you hit all the notes correctly. The point is to get the interval you heare and the one you hum together. Some people can do that right from the beginning and other people have to work really hard on stuff like this. If I don't train my ear almost every day (what I am not doing right now, because I don't have the time) I have a hard time to distinguish certain intervals.