I need help, maybe?:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toony, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Toony

Jun 15, 2001

Well I haven't been here in a long time, so it all feels new again. Anyhow, I need some guidance or rather suggestions on an potential next bass. I won't go as far as saying "help me buy a bass" since in the end it'll be my personal choice. To the point. I want to know some good basses under $800 that I should look into. I already own an Ibanez BTB405, and an MTD Kingston 5, and I'm not really trying to surpass them in price.....but rather add another quality bass to my fold.

I play mostly fingerstyle, sometimes pick, and I'm just recently trying to heavily learn to slap. Punk, Metal, Jazz and recently Funk are my interest of late. So I'm hoping to find something that can accomidate all of these attributes.

I wish to find a bass with a good growl to it also. Or should I just hold my money and buy something like a Warwick? =)

I hate to ask simpleton questions like these, so I hope I gave enough info. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well I´m a bit partial to fenders.. But have you tried out MIA or MIM fender jazz bass?

I bought MIA jazz this summer and it´s a quality instrument, you simply can´t go wrong with a jazz bass.
  3. If you wanted a jazz bass for under $800, i would get a MIM and drop a J-Retro in there and put a BadassII bridge on. I fyou want to spend a bit more, you could do what I did, and get a MIJ Fender Geddy Lee jazz which already has a good brige, and drop in a J-Retro. Mine smokes every stock MIA I have tried.

BTW - The J-retro is $250 (and well worth it), the MIM can be had for $300, and the Geddy Lee is about $600
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are looking for another five, correct? If so, I would look at a Lakland 55-01 or a used Peavey Cirrus or Millenium 5.
  5. Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    seapickle, Icez: I can't say I've evaluated the MIM wholey yet, can't say I'm "big" on Fenders (though I can't say anything bad about them either).....I just never really was drawn to any. I'll have to check them out though, definately. Thanks.

embellisher: Hey, thanks alot for the recommendation, I really like what I've heard today from the Lakland 55-01. I'm planning on playing with it some more later this week. =)
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you can score used mid 90's bolt on warwicks for under $800 every day of the week!

if you want it, you can do it!