I need help modifying my Rogue Fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oxblood, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I just ordered a Rogue Fretless from Musiciansfriend along with new SD Pickups, both p and j. What i want to do is order new tuners and a new bridge so i have a few questions. I really hope someone can help me with this.

1. What size are the tuning peg holes for this bass? I want to put in Hipshot Ultralites.

2. Could I put in a Hipshot A Type Bridge? I know it's not a direct drop-in replacement but I think the Badass II bridge will be too long and i already have one on my modified SX Jazz so i want to try the Hipshot bridges, I hear nothing but good things about them.

I can't wait till this is done. I was so pleased with my modified SX Jazz and now I finally get a fretless. Along with the pickups im also gonna purchase a Hipshot 2 String Retainer, possibly Schaller Straplocks, and im going to spray paint the entire body and headstock a different color because I just hate that "Rogue" on the body. Thanks for all your help!
  2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Can anyone help me?
  3. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i have one at home but i am at skool so when i get home i will get those measurments for the tuners. but i think the hipshot bridges should be a direct replacment.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    you can put on any bridge you want, even a badass II or a hipshot. You just might have to drill new holes for the new bridge.

I don't know about the tuning peg holes though....
  5. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    So does anyone have the tuning peg hole size for this bass? Or maybe a good idea of what it would be? I already know im buying the Hipshot A Type Bridge so im just waiting for this. Thanks.
  6. I'll bite......

Cancel the order on the Rogue, don't know what you paid for it but if it's over $100 it's too much. There are many basses you could get in the $150-400 range. you could go Fender MIM or SX to name a couple. Getting used off of ebay can dramatically increase the quality vs cost issue. The money you are putting into this bass with new pickups, bridge, tuners, etc you could get a pretty decent bass. With the Rogue I feel you possibly would not be happy with the quality of the wood, playability, frets, neck of the bass.

just my opinion.... :bassist:
  7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

Agreed! Fixing up a Rogue is like slapping on $3000 Chrome rims on a Yugo! Just not worth it! Musicians Friends sells them for $110, so they most likely pay $60-75 for them which means it costs the manufacturer $30 to build!

There are plenty of fretless basses on eBay right now that you would be better off with....and you wouldn't have to sink money into them.......just my opinion too!
  8. This:
    should be your first mod. Why didn't you go through Rondo again? They have a decent selection of fretless instruments. Plus, you get a decent setup, decent strings, and real customer service! Good luck getting that from Musicians "Friend".
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If you irradiate poop, it will be perfectly sterile, but it will still be poop.
  10. Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Rogue?
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nothing really IMO. But modding it with pickups, bridge, and tuners is of very questionable value.
  12. If you already have the bass, don't spend another dime modding it! It's just not worth it. It's a great little starter fretless with a decent sound that is NOT meant to be your main bass. If you want a fretless as your primary bass, I agree with everyone here that you need to spend more $$s on a better instrument. However...

Musician's Friend has the Rogue LX200 4-string fretless on sale right now (Thanksgiving '05) for $99!!!!! I have the bass in black. Yes, you get what you pay for BUT for $99 it's an incredible buy!!! Just cut the stupid roundwounds off when you get it (they scratch the fretboard) and get a good pair of flats. Then do a complete setup (mine came from the factory with the neck curved in the wrong direction!). If you're into blues and jazz, get a set of Rotosound LD88's. These are black, nylon flatwounds, the same ones McCartney used on the Abbey Road album. They make this little $99 axe sound GREAT!!! (Just have to do a little nut expansion with a file to get the bigger strings to sit right.) I use the Rogue as my 3rd bass when we play a few old, quiet jazz standards. Adds a nice dimension to the overall sound. But that's as far as I would ever take it.

Anyway, the Rogue LX200 fretless is fantastic for what it is: a starter fretless with good sound from the pickups but an instrument that is NOT your main bass. Hope this helps.
  13. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I defiently wasnt going to make my Rogue fretless my main axe, and my main fretless right now is my 5 string SX. But im still going to upgrade the Rogue and if I dont like it, il take the parts that I ordered for it out of it and put it into a better bass. I have the same bass as you got btw, black and only $99 and I like it so far. Still waitin to put in the pickups though.
  14. bassplayer7

Jan 17, 2004
    I've had the Rogue LX200 for about 8 months now. The 1st thing I did was dump the steel roundwounds and replaced them with Rotosound Tru Bass nylons and this in turn meant modifying the nut to take the larger diameter strings. I also replaced the bridge with the Badass II, it works very well but does require redrilling. I planned on changing the pickups, but after replacing the nut, bridge and strings, I'm quite satisfied with the factory pickups. The factory tuners are also quite good, but I do plan on looking into replacing them with a set of Grovers but as of yet I don't know the hole diameters. As with most other replies you've received, this IS a starter bass, but I've been really satisfied with the LX200 after the few mods I made. It's only my opinion, but for the price of the bass and the few mods I've made, (apprx. $175.00 total) the LX200 is a great deal. Sure you can spend a lot more money on a better fretless, but I like many others have found out that more expensive does'nt always mean better. Whatever your decision, best of luck.