I need help on Left Hand Technique for Electric bass!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GrilledHorchata, Apr 20, 2012.

1. GrilledHorchata

GrilledHorchata Guest

Apr 20, 2012

:help:So, I originally played upright bass for a year now...And I don't have a habit of looking at hands when playing music. I already have a good sense of muscle memory on my left hand when playing.

BUT, when it comes to the electric I developed a really bad habit of continually looking at the fretboard making sure the notes are right and it has come across to the point where I try to memorize the rhythms and notes and play the music without looking at the sheet!!! :meh:

I recently have began using the Simandl technique and applying it to the the electric. Also a bud of mine suggested of playing in the dark; play scales,arpeggios,etc. in the dark so you can focus more on the hearing and muscle memory, not on visual.

Do you guys have any tips on how to memorize the fretboard without looking at it, just like the upright, where I already know where to play what notes ?
    (I know it sounds kind of a stupid obvious question but I just want feedback on exercises or routines to improve on my muscle memory and playing!)

Thanks for reading!

2. FrednBass

FrednBass Guest

Feb 24, 2012
    Don't see the problem here.

3. Audiophage

Audiophage Guest

Jan 9, 2005
    It's not really that bad that you're memorizing rhythms and whatnot, but if you're stuck looking at your fretboard then you're bound to miss visual cues when playing with others.

Try making yourself aware of the differences between the fingerboards of the electric and upright. Realize that you can stop 4 different notes in one hand position if you wanted to. Try playing through the Simandl books on your electric using electric fingerings instead.

4. FrednBass

FrednBass Guest

Feb 24, 2012
    The muscle memory will sink in eventually.