1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help on the basic terminology and know-how of sound systems.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sayawnj, Jan 28, 2004.

1. sayawnj

sayawnj

Dec 9, 2003
    I need to know if anyone knows a site or a book that explains, in detail, how the mechanics of sound work. By that I mean, I need to know the definitions and purpose of different systems or things I'll be working with in the music business. For instance, I'll need to know what exactly a pre-amp is, does, and how to work with it, as well as mixers, wiring technics(parallel-etc), different kinds of amps and speakers, the list goes on. I dont necessarily need an obsolete reference, just any basic information about these things would be great. I have searched places but many articles use words I'm not too familiar with and I find myself getting lost. Thanks

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Check out the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. It's one of the definitive guides on sound and sound reinforcement. It goes into a lot of depth on the characteristics of sound and how to faithfully reproduce instrument sounds in a live situation. It also goes into great detail on all of the gear you might run into and what its purpose is.