Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help on the basic terminology and know-how of sound systems.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sayawnj, Jan 28, 2004.

1. sayawnj

sayawnj

Dec 9, 2003
    I need to know if anyone knows a site or a book that explains, in detail, how the mechanics of sound work. By that I mean, I need to know the definitions and purpose of different systems or things I'll be working with in the music business. For instance, I'll need to know what exactly a pre-amp is, does, and how to work with it, as well as mixers, wiring technics(parallel-etc), different kinds of amps and speakers, the list goes on. I dont necessarily need an obsolete reference, just any basic information about these things would be great. I have searched places but many articles use words I'm not too familiar with and I find myself getting lost. Thanks

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Check out the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. It's one of the definitive guides on sound and sound reinforcement. It goes into a lot of depth on the characteristics of sound and how to faithfully reproduce instrument sounds in a live situation. It also goes into great detail on all of the gear you might run into and what its purpose is.