Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help on what I want in a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5intheface, Dec 19, 2004.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    This is my first ever post! Hey guys, I've been a bassist for 4 years, and a bass guitarist four 3. I think I'm pretty good, and music is my life. I love me classic rock, jazz, and anything with taste, you know? My biggest loves are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, and of course, Jaco Pastorius.

Well, with that crap out of the way, I'm itchin' to buy a new bass. I've had this same Samick J-bass since I started out in 8th grade. It's served me well, surpirsing quality for a starter bass. But I've gotten all the mileage out of it that I can. It's served its time and its now time to get a better bass of higher quality because I'm getting paid for gigs and stuff now.

So, since I will be buying this myself, I was thinking something in the $600 range. I don't really know too much technical stuff, but I do know some stuff I want on it:

-four strings
    -Jazz bass (maybe something else, doubt it unless I really like it)
    -would prefer 24 frets (I play high alot)
    -Good slap tones, yet good natural (almost upright bass) tones, yet good Jaco-esque high punchy tones

Other than that, I don't know much of what I want. Do you guys know what kind of pick-ups, neck construction, active or passive, or other stuff I would want? People here seem to know thier technical stuff so I would appreciate any help. My other plan is to get work done on my bass now and make it fretless. Anyway, thanks in advance.

2. I would try either a Warmoth bass, where you pick your own parts woods, or somekind of custom jazz, try Shuker Basses , I think he builds jazzes with 24 frets, at reasonable prices. Jaco's sound lies much in the fact that me uses a fretless, but any jazzbass pickup config should do great, if you solo the bridge pickup.

For the acoustic sound, i suggest you get a piezo bridge.

3. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    The bass I'm seriously looking at is a Rockbass fortress 4. Anyone know if Rockbasses are good? the name sounds a little corney, but its a nice bass, priced at $799 and he said he'd bargain it down to the 600 range for me. It's a got a interesting body shape, active electronics, bolt-on neck, 24 frets, yadda yadda, seems pretty nice. It seems like all I could want, but just wanted to get some background on it if anyone can provide some. thank you again.

4. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    "Good Slap Tones" "Jaco-esque high punchy tones" "$600 range"

hrmmmmm sounds like someone needs a geddy :p

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree, the Geddy would be an excellent choice in this price range... but, the Rockbass Fortress 4 isn't a bad choice either though it's a P/J not a true Jazz style bass. Play everything you can get your hands on and decide from there. It's all about what's comfortable to you, what sounds good to you and what you can afford.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I just got my Geddy and its a sick bass. The quality is amazing, and im comparing it to my stingray which is nearly double the price. The only thing you might dislike about it is the fact that its only 20 frets, but hey try it out, it sounds great, plays great, and if you slap a tort or black pg on it, it looks sick. but thats just my 2 cents

7. I would also check out the KSD V60 or V70 series. I think they are within budget.

G & L also makes a really nice 4 string with a PJ config.

Agree that the Geddy Jazz is nice or even the Fender Highway One Jazz bass.

I would recommend the Warwick Rockbass Fortress with one caveat: The electronics are nasty: too bright sounding and un-warm, based on the music you like anyway. But the ash/maple wood config is basically a fender recipe. Looks to die for.

But the electronics can easily be remedied with aftermarket vintage style PJ pups at a modest cost. These basses look and feel gorgeous in the store. I was checking out some at Sam Ash last weekend. I like the 4 better than the five. I like both colors they had: honey stained and "wine burst" or something like that.

8. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I really appreciate all the help I'm egtting. I noticed that it wasn't actually a J bass and I was skeptical at first, but I play it for like an hour. I would search around for a long time, but here in Lexington, KY it's not like we have all that much choice. I'll give other basses a shot, but I really think I'll buy the firtress today.

Is the Geddy bass in referance to Geddy Lee? I really hate Rush, not that should affect the make of the bass or not. I just don't think I could overcome my dislike of Rush enough to buy a bass from thier bassist.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Wouldn't worry too much about the Geddy Lee bass - it's basically a Fender Jazz, Made in Japan, with Maple neck and block inlays! Maybe not too close to Rush?

Hmm, for good slap tones, and a 24 fret neck I'm thinking a Spector Euro4......only 2 problems....might be more than your $600 budget....and it isn't a Jazz bass! You'd probably get a used one for that kind of money if you looked hard enough.

Possibly even a used Spector ReBop (the bolt on neck line that Spector do). These can maybe be had for the kind of money.

Only thing is ,they aren't classic shaped Jazz basses - which may put you off!

Happy Hunting! :)

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

Trust me The Geddy lee jazz bass is a real discreet sig bass. Its really just a 75 jazz reissue without the ash trays. The only thing is that there is a signature on the back of the headstock but 1 no one can see it, 2 u cant even tell it says geddy lee, it just looks like a few squiggly lines.

11. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    look at the ken smith design proto j. it realy is quality stuff and its a good price.

12. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004

You're in Lexington?!?!?! So am I - Gotta love the 2 inches of ice we just got! :rollno:

The bass selection here sucks.... bigtime... even willcuts doesn't have very much to choose from.

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    hmmm i would say go for a spector but then again as much as you r into classic rock i would say go with the american fender!

14. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    Yeah, the ice is a little annoying and busts some plans I had. Anyway, you play with a band? You go to school? What school? I already got my bass and I love it. It's the beautiful fortress 4 from Rock bass. If I feel like it I'll send a picture, or if I figure out how to post on this site! It's more than I wanted and works very well for me. I actually discovered I am a pretty good slap player. It was always very hard to do on my lousy samick, but I've always had good rythem chops, and it's easy to do on the Fortress.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Great to know everything worked out for you! It's interesting how you can surprise yourself, ne? I didn't used to really slap much at all on my fretless, and the once a month or so when I'd play my fretted, I'd surprise myself with how much cleaner and more efficient my technique had gotten from NOT using it ;).

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    KSD Jazz sounds like a good deal

Geddy Lee jazz or Marcus Miller = pretty dang nice

MTD Kingston Heir OR used Grendel! Very cool

17. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I forgot to mention the killer deal I got on the bass, it was priced at $800 but I got it for $550. My Dad threw in $200 into it so I made out like a little bandit. I got a new chord and strap to go with, I feel like a new bassist! I'm getting some work done for free on, new strings and action raised a hair to eliminate a slight buzz, but other than that it's a beauty.

18. Warwick Rockbasses are very good.

I have two - a Streamer and a Corvette.

Both 24 frets which is nice. Same pickups as the German Warwicks, same body shape - less exotic timber.

They also have some different hardware. ie: The bridge is a rockbass bridge (which, BTW I think is very good) and not the Warwick Bridge. The Warwick stamped tuners appear the same (although that may be just be looks) and work brilliantly. Other than the pickups the electonics are different. Both of my Rockbasses are passive - so I can't comment on the Rockbass active pre amps.

Excellent build quality. In fact really good! - and super nice playability and tone on both basses.

The streamer is alot warmer than the Corvette which can tend to be quite bright.

I do, however have stainless rounds on the Corvette though which makes it a bit more likely to be on the bright side.

I haven't played the Fortress - but I've eyed one off a few times! haha!

I highly recommend the Rockbasses in every regard, but play on before you go ahead - for the music you descirbe, they might be a little bright sounding.

FWIW I think I'll try some GHS pressure wounds on the Corvette next. I think they'll suit it very well, and round out the tone to make it a really versatile bass. I love the Corvette although the Alder body is a bit light which results in a little neck dive. The Carolena bodied Streamer is much better balanced. :D

;)

19. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Probably the best all-around bass for the money!

--Matthew

20. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004

Glad to hear you got a new bass man!
    I'm not in a band at the moment.
    I attend UK studying accounting - which I'm so glad that the semester is over at the moment.

I'm still looking for a new bass myself. Hopefully my search will speed up! Enjoy that new bass!

If you want to talk further or anything, feel free to private message me.