I need help on what kind of pickups are better...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vitamin_j, Jan 17, 2005.

1. vitamin_j

Jan 17, 2005
    what are the kinds of pickups?

and i also want to know which kind is the best....i am planning on getting my first bass guitar soon...
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No "best", just different flavors. If you're getting your first bass, I'd suggest you not get bogged down with such considerations, and just pick a bass with the sound, appearance, and feel that you like.
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Welcome to talkbass.

There is no "best" pickup brand.

There are several top shelf brands.

Seymour Duncan

Lindy Frailin

To get a new bass with top shelf pickups in it you are looking at $600 to 900 and up for the bass. Some people get a $600 plus bass and think that they are getting top shelf pickups and electronics, because a particular brand is labeled on the pickup, but they are really getting a lower level of the real thing. If you spend 900 to 1200 and up, you are going to get the best pickup that a particular brand makes.

Top shelf pickups do not come in $300 basses...most people on talkbass recomend the cheapest basses to first time buyers...thinking that they need to save money...be careful if you want good pickups...sometimes you can get a cheaper bass on ebay that has had better pickups installed in it...if pickups are really important to you, you can get a lower priced bass and put better pickups in it.

But, my advice is to not take months thinking about it and just hop on ebay and buy a made in mexico Fender J four string bass for 250 to 350 dollars and go to your local music store and buy a cheap bass practice amp with headphones out and cd in, and start taking lessons and reading every post here on pickups, basses, and general instruction. You will know more in six months by jumping in that you would standing on the edge of the pool. You can always sell that bass in six months on ebay for close to what you bought it for.

Do not be concerned about buying and selling and losing a little money over time. Do not have this great need to do the exact perfect thing right now that will for all time be the correct decision. Most of us here have the equipment we have after years of buying, selling, and trading. Our tastes change, our knowledge changes, and our ears improve.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as everyone said, there is no best pickup brand. As well as the make, you should be considering the pickup configuration - i.e. single P, P&J, JJ, MM&J, soapbars etc