1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need help on what new strings im gonna get

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mlafrancis, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mlafrancis

mlafrancis

Jun 26, 2008
    Im going to be getting new strings soon, and was wondering what you people thought on what kind of strings i should try out. I'll explain my sound and gear.

I have an Ibanez GSR205 witch is a 5 string, and for a cheaper bass it sounds awesome. I run it through a Zoom B1 effects pedal. And my amp is a Unicord S450 tube bass amp, witch is from the 70's but is amazing!

I play in a 3 peice Hard Rock band. My style of bass playing is where i'll keep the main rhythm of the song, but I'll add in random notes that go along with the music but just add more to the music, kinda like Geezer Butler in Paranoid. I have a few intro's for songs and I have a few solo's. I play with a pick, but am working on my finger strenght for playign with my fingers. I use chords, and slide alot. You hear the bass in our music haha.

The sound i have is a lower bassy sound, but with alot of trebel. The tube amp and effects pedal add alot to my sound too.

Untill now all ive had was D'Addario. I was thinking about DR Black Beauties, or Rotosound. Money isnt a problem. So let me know what you think! And thanks for any and all help!

~Mike

2. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Well DR Lo Riders will give you a nice aggressive bite to the your low end.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    True. I'd also point out that the coating on the Black Beauties the OP is considering will flake from pick playing. Not a big deal, but something to know.

It really depends on how bright you want your tone. I didn't care for Dean Markley Blue Steels, but I remember thinking that if I was a pick player in a hard rock/metal band, they'd probably cut through the mix like butter.

4. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Try going stainless steel. They're bright sounding so you'll cut through on those little spiffy parts, especially with a pick. I use D'Addario pro steels.

5. Krause

Krause

Mar 17, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB.
    +1

The Lo Raiders are great. I tried the Black Beauties before the Lo Raiders, and the Lo Raiders sound alot better, and the black coating flacking off is annoying.

6. ya- big fan of DR- cant go wrong with them.