I need help picking a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pwl_311, Mar 5, 2001.

1. pwl_311

Feb 23, 2001
    My birthday is coming up in April, and my parents said they would get me a new bass. Now I can't decide what I want. I am a fairly new player and am looking to get a nice intermediate bass priced not much more than $500. I have been thinking about several basses but I can't narrow it down. I have tried out several jazz basses, and am thinking about going with a mexican standard, then uprading the pickup's to emg's. Do you think I would be better off getting a deluxe active mim jazz bass, or getting the standard and upgrading. I have played one Ibanez, an sr400 I think, and liked the feel of the bass, but I'm not to sure of the quality. Also, do you think a higher quality used bass would be a good choice? If so, what do you recommend. Thanks for reading
  2. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    I would look for a good used bass,you could pick up a USA jazz for that kind of money.But you need to play it before you buy it and see if it feels right for YOU.
    If this is your first bass talk to someone in the store and ask them for help but dont let them decide what is right for you.
    I would buy a good used USA jazz before I would buy a new mex.
    As far as a active bass I like the USA Jazz Dlx and the USA P Dlx.
    Good luck and DONT buy the first thing you pick up.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A good, used bass is what may very well be best for you if you aren't a veteran player, IMO. I'm looking back on my experience. Once you've owned a few, you know what works best for you and what to look for. I agree with Jman. I made the mistake of buying new for my first few basses. I never really knew what I wanted and got rid of them, losing probably $1000 in the process, because I was selling a used instrument. If you buy used and decide you like something else better, (which you most probably will), you haven't lost so much when you sell it/trade it in.

If you are dead set on a brand new bass, a little over $500 will get you a basic Carvin B4, an extremely well made bass. They only deal mail order, unless you live near one of their stores in S. Cal.

If you go with the Fender, I suggest doing what Jman said and try a few out first. Not all of them are created equal, even if they're the same model. One might have a couple of frets that buzz, the one right next to it may not, for example.