I need help picking a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Bassist, Mar 9, 2005.

1. A Bassist

A Bassist

Mar 9, 2005
    OK, I'm ready to buy a new bass, and I'm torn between the Epiphone Thunderbird 4, or the Fender Precision Bass. I've heard good things about both of them. Pleaes Help ME.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Precision bass > thunderbird.
  3. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Me personally would never get any gibson made bass so an epiphone NO WAY!! Go for the Fender -P
  4. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    If the P-Bass feels good to you, I'd go with it. You thinking about the Standard, the Deluxe, the Highway One, the Classic, the American?...not that there's a tremendous difference among them other than country of origin. (Note: I didn't say there was NO difference.) The basic design is sound, and Fender has cranked out so many of these suckers over the years, they've pretty much got it down, you know?
  5. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i agree...i presonlly dont like fender basses, but fender is better than most things out there.

i would play all teh basses you can find first, THAN make your decision
  6. A Bassist

A Bassist

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks for the advice
  7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I'm not a big Thunderbird or Epiphone fan. Let's face it, can anyone really go wrong with a P-bass. Even if you move on to other basses, it is good to have a trusty old P in the arsenal.
  8. I agree...I don't like Fender's much but it is a good idea to have a P lying around
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    didn't you play a Carvin before? why the downgrade? Out of the 2 I would go Precision... But I'm not big on P's so I'd probably try to find a quasi-decent P/J...
  10. Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    I have both and I would say the P bass is a better sounding instrument. The pickups are not all that good on the Tbird and good luck finding replacement pickups/ upgrades without having to rout the body. Also the Tbird has a neck dive problem (which can be fixed pretty cheaply).

P bass all the way. I do love my Tbird though.