Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bass_player16, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought I'd go for it anyways. So heres the deal, our band that I'm in(im the bassist) is playing the talent show at our skool..IN THIRTEEN DAYS!, and we are writing a song..well finishing up writing a song, all we have to do is the guitar solo, brush up the drum parts, and finish the basslines. Anyways my problem is this, I have NO idea where to start, I know sum theory, like appregios and stuff like that, but I'm not exactly sure how to apply that, and the scales and all that kind of stuff. Basically for the verse which is what I need the most help on, the guitarists play C, E, and D powerchords, anyways I was just wondering if anyone could get me pointed in the right direction, or tab a lil something out to help me get on my way, so to speak. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Since the talent show is so soon and you still have to get a bassline and guitar solo maybee you should play it safe and do root notes since you dont know what other direction to go in.

3. Hey, dude, what style of music do you play? Because if it punk/ska, just play some steady walking line. Like something along the appregios...like C-E-G...E-G-B...D-F-A.....but since D is last chord, you might not want to play just D-F-A....D-C-E-G...Remember he is playing power chord, so you dont have to fellow the D Chord. I don't know...it's hard to explain. It's also depends on the drum beat. Maisten to some of the punk/ska band...like Less than Jake, NOFX, it would definitly help. But there is always one route to go, if you are out of option, play some root notes....nothing wrong with that....just keep it in the pocket....and hold down the groove...

Anyway, good luck, man.... :)
    Cheers,

Joe

4. we play mostly rock..forgot to mention that..and ya i dont really wanna always be stuck in the groove ya know..cuz the guitarist are going about this in a half assed kinda way and they only switch between 2 different riffs..me and our drummer have to do sumthing to spice things up ya know

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Here's a quick and basic tab to mess with (Keep in mind I have no clue what the pattern is so adjust as needed):

G------4---------------------------
    D----5------9-7h9-----------------
    A--3-----/7--------5h7-5----------
    E-------------------------x-h3h5-3

You should be able to figure out a decent sounding pattern once you get it down and you can alter it as needed. Let me know if it helps. :)

6. Everytime I'm trying to learn or create a part for a new song, I do two things: Learn the chord structure, and find the bass drum.

That's the pocket, and don't ever leave it.

Once you find the pocket, everything else is gravy. If you always hit the right notes within the chords and play along with the bass drum, the song will always sound huge and drive right along. If you consistently lock in with those two things, you can start adding slides, arpeggios, octaves, fifths, minor 3rds, rests, etc.

Also, guitarists hardly ever listen to the bass drum anyway, so the groove you and the drummer have will vary from the guitar rhythm. :ninja: