Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help.....PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philip71, May 20, 2005.

1. Philip71

Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    I am a very inexperienced bassist when it comes to live playing and setup's for club's and outside venues...but I just landed this country gig and I am not even sure where to start as far as putting a rig together for clubs.....I will more than likely be playing through the rig with my Dean edge Q6 so that tells you what kind of bass I will be using can anyone offer any advice on a rig??

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    First question: How much money do you have to spend?

With a budget, we can all work from there.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, budget is the 1st consideration. you may need to revisit your budget a few times.

tone is a big consideration as well. if you can, listen to lots of stuff (amps and cabs) seeing what you like and don't like.

another thing to consider is size/weight/portability. a rig is no good if you can't transport it, and some rigs that are big get old to carry around after a while.

along those lines would be the consideration of modularity and ubgradeability (is that even a word?) :p . A modular setup (e.g., a head and two medium size cabs rather than a head and a giant cab) can be cool as you can bring one cab to smaller gigs, and both to bigger ones. Upgrade potential kind of fits in with the modularity. maybe you cant afford both cabinets now, but you can afford a head and one cab, so you opt for a setup that will allow you to add on later (be carefull, not all will, and there is a limit to how many cabs you can hook up to a head depending upon their impedance)

so you go back and revisit your budget. :eyebrow:

biggest consideration of all (besides budget) is performance in terms of plain old volume. how loud do you need to be? looking at the top of the amps forum you'll find a sticky thread that has all sorts of FAQ linked to it. there are a few threads linked there on that subject, as well as a bunch of others that might be usefull to you as you look around.

so you need to figure out how loud you need to be, figure out what rig will do that for you, do a lot more listening, and take another look at your budget. :p

one big hint. i'd ask a lot of questions here after you look at stuff and after you get advice from salespeople. not all of them are looking out for your best interest and they can tell you some wacky stuff to make a sale. Not that any of us here will agree on much, but we'll be able to tell you if someone is really leading you astray with misinformation. ;)

4. Philip71

Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    Thanks for the responses so far...I have between 1,500-2,000 I can spend on a rig but no more than that....I am looking at some stuff from swr I know I can try them out at the local guitar center and use my bass so that is one road to go I suppose..

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    What kind of tone are you after?

That's a good amount to spend on a rig, I think. Lots of options.

A few things to try at Guitar Center:
    Mesa Walkabout or Venture combo
    Gallien-Krueger amplifiers
    SWR, as you said, some like it
    Try out a Sansamp BDDI (if your GC stocks them, they should let you try one out)

A couple other amps IMO you should look at, but won't find at Guitar Center:
    Thunderfunk
    Genz-Benz

Try out everything that you can. Look used. Going pre/power would work well in that budget. Check out www.basstasters.com for pre-amp sound clips. Many find them to be accurate, but they aren't the be-all-end-all, of course.

If you decide to go pre/power, you really can't go wrong. There's so much out there, and nearly all of it is good. Find a nice poweramp and then pick a preamp of your choice.