I need help really bad!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nico3535, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Ok so i own a late 80's swr sm400. I am so happy with its sound, but the fact that it's got no fan and does not have the wattage i need is a problem. I was wondering if some experienced gear heads would recomend me adding a power amp to my rack to relief the stress of the swr and add wattage? or should i just make the move and get a carvin b1500 or a kustom 1000????? HELP!
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're really happy with the sound, just get the power amp, and run the direct out into the power amp. You should be able to turn down the master volume (eliminating the usage of the head's power amp) and run the preamp through the power amp that you intend to buy. Just make sure that your cabinets can handle the extra power.
  3. Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Well i plan on upgrading cabs thats for sure. I just didn't want to loose my sound.
  4. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Make the plunge. Sell yours and get one of those two you mention. I would go with the Carvin. The kustom has good reviews too, but is Chinese made. The Carvin is US made , and you can get parts and service, if you ever need it, just by sending it back to Carvin, or at any good repair place. Who knows what a parts problem the Kustom could be.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was gonna say this sooner, but here goes...

using a power amp will PROBABLY change your sound, unless its an swr power amp from a similar series. thats assuming you hear the differences. some brands might be close enough to the original amp "sound" others might radically change the tone, sometimes, suprisingly for the better.

if you can't afford to throw money around, try borrowing equipment from a friend or store. if they think your a serious customer and a responsible person they might let you try something overnight or a weekend.

just ask, but they might require collateral or charge card.