Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help selecting a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hades420, May 30, 2003.

1. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    I have been playing for about a year now, and I am sick of my piece of crap ibanez soundgear that I bought used off my neighbor. I paid 50 bucks for it and I still got ripped off. So I want to upgrade. I am looking to spend about $800-$1200 on a new bass and a new amp. What is the best bass/amp combo I can come up with for the money?

2. What didn't you like about the Ibanez? That may help guide you to the bass that you will like. Too many options out there and you have provided no info but price range.

What kind of music do you play? Thin neck, fat neck? Playing alone or with a band?

3. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    ummmmm.......:confused: :confused: :confused:

Answer those ???'s and I can give suggestions. What power do you need and what does the guitarist play?

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Also would like to know what venue you would use the bass amp for... or how many watts you would like it to be

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What tone are you looking for? I could list you 500 good basses in that price range.

Best Advice In The World: Go to a music store, play alot, see what you like, buy it.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's good advice. One thing is for sure - even if you get exactly the same set up as whoever your bass hero happens to be, you're unlikely to be able to capture the sound.

So... what have the local stores got in?

Wulf

ps. And what is the problem with the Ibanez?

7. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    The ibanez that i have is just falling apart, its really old and had like 4 owners who all just played the hell out of it. I play blues and rock. mostly more mellow stuff. Amp need to be powerfull enough to play small clubs and house partys. I think I figured out what bass I want to get. A SpectorNS2000. It runs about $500 so now all i need to to figure out what amp to get.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Very good choice,,,

Wow guys, I didn't even have to tell him.

9. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    my biggest problem is the only music shop anywhere near me only sells fenders. I have a long time grudge against fenders. Its not something worth posting just a personal dislike for the entire company. So i really cant just go play around with the different basses.

10. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    my biggest problem is the only music shop anywhere near me only sells fenders. I have a long time grudge against fenders. Its not something worth posting just a personal dislike for the entire company. So i really cant just go play around with the different basses.

11. hades420

hades420

May 30, 2003
    Thanks for all your advise guys. After many many hours searching, I finally got my new bass. Its a Burns of London Bison. The thing is amazing! The three pick ups give it a sound that just cant be found anywhere else. I highly recomend it to anyone who is looking for a new insturment.