1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Need Help Settling An Argument With A Friend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Jim, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Bass Jim

Bass Jim

Oct 7, 2010
    Could a 100 watt Fender Rumble Amp be able to power a Behringer BB4X10 cab which is rated at 1200W? We've been arguing about this for a while and still haven't found a concrete answer.

2. paul_s

paul_s

Jan 12, 2008
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yes, as long as it has the proper speaker out impedance, ie, 4 or 8 ohms.

3. tmut

tmut

May 18, 2009
    Milwaukee
    Technically? Yes
    Practically? Not really

4. does the amp have ext speaker outs?

5. I have always understood that you need to send a healthy amount of wattage to a speaker, approximating its capacity, and there are negative consequences for underpowering a speaker.

So, is it not only impractical, but dangerous to do something like this?

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    According to the manual, it's rated for a 4 ohm load. However, there is no speaker out, so there is no way to hook up an external cabinet.

7. tahbass

tahbass

Apr 9, 2009
    Park City, UT
    I run a 300W tube amp at 4 ohms into an 8x10 1200W cab, also 4 ohm. So I would tend to say yes. However, I'd be reluctant to do this if the amp and cab wattage ratings were switched (1200W amp into a 300W cab = 'splosions).

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Myth.

Not in the least. A 100w amp won't drive a 1200w rated cab to full output, but that's hardly dangerous.
    Now you have.

9. Dude. Seriously? Tell me you're kidding.

10. My experience, and the published use cases of many manufacturers, suggest that this is not the case - you can't really underpower a speaker cabinet. You can have too little amp to properly cover a gig, but that's fundamentally different than "underpowering a speaker cabinet". This is my opinion, and this is definitely the topic of Holy Wars, so I'll leave it right there at that. I am positive others will disagree.

11. The question is not whether you can but more why would you want to. The Behringer cabinets have a terrible reputation on this site.

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    The problem is not in under powering the speaker, it is in overdriving the amp to the point of clipping.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Which has nothing to do with the cabs rating. And to the op, your Rumble is a 4 ohm min amp, connected to an internal 4 ohm spkr. That's why there's no speaker out, the amp won't support it.

14. I wonder if people who worry about underpowering a speaker always turn up the volume full blast on all of their audio gear, lest the speaker be damaged or destroyed by not giving it enough power... heehee

15. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Actually, the amp will support it. Just not both the internal speaker(s) and the external. Disconnect the internal speaker(s) and connect the cab. The original question said nothing about powering the cab AND the internal speaker(s).

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That sums it up nicely.

17. YES! That's exactly what I do! No wonder I keep getting kicked out of bands.

(kidding)

I think that sentiment goes back to my old home stereo audiophile days, and even still today, I will drive speakers rated at 75 watts with a 300 watt stereo amp. Potentially, that's 150 watts per channel into a 75 watt speaker. Yes, it means you can blow the speaker, if you're an idiot, but the conventional wisdom was if you don't push too hard, it's better for the speaker.

But now I'm not so sure, because I am giving in to peer pressure. Now I have low self-esteem. Now I'm going to go eat worms and chew my nails until they bleed.

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Also myth. What do you think guitar players do to get overdriven tone? Know whereof you speak before you post.

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I know it has been said many times before in other threads, but could you please specify once again the factors that would lead to damaging a speaker?

20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire