Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help shopping for a 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbob24, May 31, 2002.

1. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi all,

I've finally talked my lovely wife into letting me get a 5 string bass, so now I need help looking for good manufacturers. I'm currently playing a RIC 4004C-II 4 string and I'd like something different, I want USA made. I don't care much for Fender, so where else shoule I look.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok.. USA made and NOTfender
    Stingray 5
    about a zillion custom builders like ZON, Lakland, etc.
    Carvin
    Peavey? (maybe)
    USA Spector
    I'm sure that there are more but you should really expand your horizons and check out a Skyline, a Kingston, BTB, Yamaha, Warwick, and whatever else looks like fun. If you like your rick, though, the stingray 5 plays the same types of music much differently... if that makes any sense

3. Bob,

What's your goal? What do you play? How much can you spend?

Any particular reason you don't like Fenders?

Jeff

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    why not get a ric 5 string.
    they are $1,000 new! if i can only remenber where!
    try musicains freind first
    and if not go to sam ash.
    one of them has it for cheap
    the 4 string is only $899 new there

steve

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What kind of bucks did you also talk her into??? :D

Since you have a Ricky and mentioned Fender, I'll guess - a little over a grand (?)

If "used" is okay for you, bassgear.com always seem to have some nice stuff for sale in that price range. The other day, they had a Ken Smith Burner 5 @ around $900.

The Low End has been offering an Alembic Epic fiver for under a grand.

As for new, luthier Matt Schmill has nice fivers on sale that he didn't build for a client. Here's a link - http://eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/fbb/pages/

These are just a few sources offering instruments that are more "special" than the mass-produced Fenders you said you don't care for.

6. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Thanks for all of the ideas. My price range is around 1000, give or take a couple bucks.

Jeff, the reason I don't care for Fenders is that I had a bad experiance with one of their guitars a few years ago, and I guess I never really did get over it.

Thanks again!!!

8. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey Mike,

My Fender experiance was a little more drastic. I bought a brand new American Strat, great guitar in the store. After about a month or so it literally just started falling apart. I must have sent it in for warante work 3-4 times until I fu\inally just gave up and dumped it. I was really disappointed that a guitar like that (not cheap) was that poorly made. Oh well.....

I will take your advice thout and play some without looking at the name on the head stock.

Thanks,

Bob

9. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray5 or G&L L-2500 the 2 best production 5 strings made in USA for the Money

10. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A few more things to think about:

What scale length? 34" or 35"?
    What string spacing (wide or narrow)? (at bridge, at nut)
    Active or passive?
    2-band or 3-band EQ?
    Prefered materials (body, neck, fingerboard)?
    Weight?

When I'm shopping for a bass, I try and decide all of these things in advance, so I can limit my search to only those brands that meet these specs. (Particularly important to me are string spacing
    scale length, and an active eq.)

Good Luck
    Jim D.

11. washburn 925 and 2505 i think.... those are some professional grade basses for around a G or so

12. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I would checkout a Lakland Skyline 55-01. They list for $999, Musicians F*iend sells them for $699 and Steve "Dude" Barr will cut you a great deal.

Scale: 35"
    Number of Frets: 22
    Pickups: 2 Bartolini MK1 split-coil soapbar
    Preamp: Bartolini MK1, 3-Band buffered active electronics
    Controls: Cut/Boost Bass, Mid, Treble, Panning style pickup blend, Master Volume
    Bridge: Lakland Dual Access (through body or through bridge)
    Tuners: TBA
    Neck Wood: Flat-Sawn Maple
    Body Wood: Ash (other woods TBA)
    Fingerboards: Rosewood, Maple
    Truss Rod Access At Neck Heel: 5/32" Hex
    Nut Width: 1.81"
    Width @ Final Fret: 3.30"
    Neck Depth @ 1st Fret: .810"
    Neck Depth @ 12th Fret: .920"
    Fingerboard Radius: 10-13" Compound

http://www.lakland.com/frames/skyline_frame.html

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You owe it to yourself to try a Peavey Cirrus 5 and Millenium 5 before buying anything.

Both USA made, and both give you maximum bang for the buck. And both are within $100 of your price range new, or well below it, used.

Here's a picture of my Cirrus 6.

[​IMG]