I need help! Solo is wanted, and it's wanted to be hugely impressive...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 23, 2005.

1. so for teh talent show some people are playing Give It Away by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I mentioned how I might do a solo, and my guitarist suggested after the second solo in the song. Sounds good, right? Well...he wants something hugely impressive. I'm leaning towards the slap direction since it's in the spirit of flea, but I'm not a huge slap fan. (IE people do it too much.) I hope I don't come off as fake. Should I go fingerstyle?

Any tips on what people find impressive? In all, I just want to put on a good show.
  2. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Just stop the song in the middle after the solo and bust into Jaco's Amerika. Then back into song. Totally out of the blue.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    +1, or break out into goodbye pork pie hat with your band playing the backups ;). That'll be random.
  4. Hm...I don't own any recordings of those. I do think I'll end my solo how Stu Hamm ends his on the Satch concert DVD. :D
  5. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    If you're aiming for "super-technical", you'll be faking your way through the solo either way. I say - give the people what they want!
  6. Of course. I haven't the skills for super technical. I've decided on tapping. I think I'll do the arpeggiated two hand tapping from Symphony X's Pharaoh and some other tapping I know...
  7. redfenderj

Aug 12, 2004
    I have some experience in the highschool talent show field. There is a pretty good chance that no matter what you do, most people will either not be able to hear it, or won't remember it anyway. Not to say you don't know how to solo but that's just the way it goes with a talent show audience. So we took a more bold aproach. Lot's of theatrics like robot's turning on evil scientits and big fight scenes, spraying the unsuspecting audience with blood. Keep in mind that we were barred from futur talent shows and the kid's school gave him a couple of detentions, but he became a school legend. If you want to do something memorable, it's got to be shocking.
    Best of luck!
  8. As implied above, your target audience is important to some extent. So, it sounds like you just want to BS your way through. Well, the art of BS is at your discretion, there are many freakish technical players you can copy that just can't play anything but BS - there is no shortage of material.

I prefer to do my own thing all the way.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I could give you a smartass answer, but that's probably not the best thing to do.

Solos ARE NOT about impressing people with technical virtuoso. Music, and "solos", are about playing what's right in the moment, communicating something with others musically. Copying a solo is lame, always will be. Anyone can be taught to copy or emulate. To truly write and create music that is melodically interesting, and has something to say, is much more difficult.
  10. I remember at my high school talent show to get noticed I played through an Ampeg svt-pro3 and a ampeg 410. The guitarists had the fun of playing through an 80 watt combo amp. Now that's how you get noticed at a talent show. :D
  11. Yeah, go for theatrics. No matter what you play, nobody will think it's half as cool as if you do something (non-musically) entertaining.
  12. +1 !

If your solo doesn't add something to the song, then don't.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Haha, I used the big amp sort of thing too.

We also played Tommy the Cat by Primus which people seemed to like..