i need help SOON please!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sampsonite, Jan 12, 2001.

1. sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    can someone really help me out and give me the tabs for lifehouses "hanging by a moment". my band is playing at a gig this fri and i need to get the song down in about 2 days and i don't have time to struggle through playing by ear. thank you for any help you can give me.

2. If worst comes to worst, why not ask your guitarist to run through it with you. pick up the basic chords that he's playing. If i'm in a spot of bother my guitarist says "hey i'm playing these chords, just follow them" That way i can be hidden behind the guitar for that song.

Its only one song so its ok to cheat your way through a couple. lolol

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    hey sam, you're alright dude. I once learned a whole set the morning and afternoon of a gig when I was a fill in. Plus, it is not bothering the guitarist to ask him the chords. Whenever I write a song or my guitarist does, we always call out the chords as we play them the first dew times. It saves time and trouble.
  4. It does save time and if u bugger it up you can blame the guitarist. ahh its a two way street. lolololol

Bring on violence with blunt objects and spoons!

5. Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    So if the guitarist is playing something like a G chord, do i just play the notes of the G scale on my bass in relation to the rhythm, etc?
    See, what I'M thinking is, if he says he's playing a G chord, i just play some notes of the G scale...
    E:3-5-------------- is what I'm thinking at least kinda sorta right? Or am i completely wrong? Please help..i've done little to no improv at all.
  6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Naw brother, that is not completely wrong at all. If you play scale like basslines, it almost sounds real blues like or "Stray Cats" like. Try alternating the root and the 5th. Like, play root on beats 1 and 3 and the 5th on beats and 2 and 4. Or play 8th noots using the root for 1&2& and the 5th for 3&4&. Or use the root, 5th and 6th. Or try using the root, the second, and the 5th. Dont try the whole scale thing, even though its not wrong.
  7. like merlin said, it´s nothing wrong with just following the guitarist.. at least not in some easy songs you KNOW the bass isn´t important... :)

often when I´m playing something I don´t know that my guitarist knows I sometimes just play the notes same as the chords he´s playing... just watch him... like if I see he´s playing a G chord I just play G so it fits with the rythm. :)

but of course if it´s a cool song I just make up a new bassline, play something walking or something... no one says you can´t do that... :)

when I´m playing, no matter what it is, I think about what´s important... THE BASS!!