1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help! (The Carving B500 saga).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshuaRyan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JoshuaRyan

JoshuaRyan

Dec 27, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok guys, I'm running a G&L JB-2 straight into a Carvin B500 with a BRX410 Neo cab. I bought the Carvin on Craigslist after hearing that they were really solid. I HATE this amp. It's too something for me, but I can't quite place it. It's too bright, too boomy, too clangy, or either too piercing or too dull depending on where the sub bass knob is. Until I bought this amp I thought I could dial a favorable tone up on anything, but this guy is really fighting me. Am I doing something wrong? Any B500 known issues or complaints? Sell me on this amp if the hype is right...

photo2.

2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    If it's too clangy, turn the tone knob down on your bass?

3. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Something's wrong with your amp or speaker! That combination you have should kill! I have both the B500 and B1500(and many other types of amps), and they sound exactly the same except for the power. Read the review of the B1500 in Bass Gear magazine. They loved it. The preamp is very powerful and capable of tons of tones. I find it very warm for a solid state amp, and very quick. I've never heard a bad review.

4. Have you tried upping the "Drive" control?

5. Common "starting point" on that amp is for all your EQ controls to be at "noon".

Adjust up or down from there, play with the drive to taste.