1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help to choose a Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noisetree, Mar 25, 2009.

1. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    Hi there,
    I´m going to order a Lakland.
    I know that I want a Darryl Jones US series with Birdseye Maple
    and white Block Inlays.I do not know if I should choose Alder
    or Swamp Ash and not yet decided about finishes.
    Can you advice me,please?
    Thanks!
    noisetree

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    no...no you don't.

3. Me personally, I like swamp ash because I love the way the grain looks, especially under a transparent finish. Swamp ash is a little more punchy than the alder IMO, but alder has a little more warmth than the ash. It all depends on what you like. If you slap a lot then I'd go with ash. If you like a warm fingerstyle tone then I'd go with alder, not to say you can't get that with an ash body though.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1! Depends on the tone and finish you have in mind. Tell us more, please--that's going to be a killer instrument in any case.:) I've seen most of the U.S. finishes in person at the shop, so I might be of some help there.

ETA: There aren't too many U.S. DJs out there so far, but I've seen them in candy apple orange (sold on TB a couple months ago by Tommixx), three-tone sunburst (great late '60s/early '70s look), teal green (see Bass Central's site) and CAR, not to mention the four Skyline colors. I've also seen a US JO with blocks and binding in ice blue metallic--it's not an official finish, but I believe they'll do it for you. Also, there's a mockup of a sonic blue DJ here.http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7153030&postcount=111

5. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    Thank you for your replies.
    I want a great bass for a killer slap and great for
    fingerstyle too.My first instinct tells me to go with
    Swamp Ash(but I want to hear different opinions).
    I know that I love a Birdseye Maple with white Block Inlays
    so I need to find a nice matching finish(and there isn´t many
    pictures on Laklands homepage). And four strings!
    noisetree

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Swamp ash....a bit more aggressive sounding versus the vintage mellow tone of alder. That said, it's not like they'd be worlds apart in the end whichever you went with. If you have a transparent finish in mind, then I'd pick one based on aesthetics.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends what tone i want for that particular bass, as in what purpose itd have in my stable. if i wanted it to be the beast, ash.

8. +1..LOL...Interestingly enough I have owned 3 of them now...

:bag:

The Candy Apple Orange Juice I had was a Pat Wilkins custom that was originally a Transparent White I believe. The original owner sent it to Pat and he stripped her and turned her into one of the most beautiful basses I have ever seen! I am not certain if CAOJ is an "official" color that Lakland can do but I can promise you it is worth asking about...The DJ is one of the sweetest models of basses there is IMHO. I have had a bunch of US Models and Skylines. I love the neck on them and I can tell you that you ain't ready for the neck on a US model!!! You are in store for a beautiful instrument no matter what you decide on. Good luck in your decision process! Here is a little inspiration for you:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

and while I am at it I figured I would post this:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The CAOJ is a US model and the Natural is a Skyline...notice the last pics next to the Sadowsky. The grain looks like some kind of Animal Skin! Talk about a sweet grain!! I do not know if you have decided on Pickups or not but the CHI SONICS are absolutely amazing and I can not recommend them highly enough. I have had these with Aeros PUPS, Lakland Single coil PUPS, and CHI SONICS PUPS. THere was no comparison between the others and the CHIs...Also I prefer these passive and I add a Sadowsky outboard pre on occasion to give them an active sound...talk about flexible and great sounding! Good luck and choose well....

Peace,

T

9. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    Thank you for your replies and thanks a lot Tommixx
    for the great pictures.I love the natural but I prefer the
    white Block Inlays over the black.Do you know if we have
    to pay extra for the CHIs pickups?I am thinking of J-retro Preamp.
    Denchiq thanks for the link.I had seen those in my search
    I saw every page of Laklands club :)
    (I like the white too...maybe olympic but I don´t like blue or candy).
    I'm about to take my decision...but I would like to hear more opinions .
    noisetree

10. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    What do you think about the picture in my mind?:
    Birdseye Maple,white pearl Block Inlays,
    white pearl pickguard,Swamp Ash and natural finish...
    noisetree

11. Sounds like a killer bass. Post pics when you get it.

12. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    +1000

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    ChiSonics are more. I think it's 100-200 more. If you go that route, I don't think you will need the pre. They're HOT pickups.

14. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    About the ChiSonics... I´m still lost!:meh:
    I was thinking J-Retro preamp...
    noisetree

15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    The ChiSonics have a lot of output. Enough for people to think a passive bass with them is active.

16. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I had a Sadowsky Metro with an ash/maple combo.......that combo was way too pingy for my taste! I think an alder/maple combo would be a better choice. The alder would help balance the inherent brightness of the maple board. Conversely, this is why ash/rosewood is such a killer combo. The mellow tone of rosewood is a nice balance with the brighter tone of the ash. For me, its all about balance.

17. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
    Thank you g4string,but I decided Ash with Maple.
    My question now is J-Retro or ChiSonics...
    noisetree

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That sounds great! I recall seeing a Fender J from the '70s with that look.

I have a Skyline Decade and I'm a big fan of the Chi's (and also passive basses). I don't know that anyone has owned DJs with each one yet. Have you emailed the guys at Lakland? Brian, the head of sales, would be the best choice for this type of question. They're very cool and usually get back to people quickly.

19. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Chisonics!!!
    [​IMG]