i need help w/ my first bass-a squier!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by defbass13, Feb 26, 2001.

1. defbass13

Feb 26, 2001
    New York
    i need to take off my pickguard completely on my squier p-bass i have no idea how to get the friggin knobs off, if i could get some advice or a link that would be great, the reason these knobs are so annoying is because they dont have the little hole on the side for the allen wrench, im completely confused, help please!
  2. why do you need to take the pickgaurd off?

i think they are pressed on. so slipping a screwdriver or something under them should release them.

try here for more info
  3. They are indeed a press fit. When you slip a widebladed screwdriver under the knob, make sure you are levering against the nut underneath the knob, otherwise you will mess up the pickguard. Why do you want to take it off? You cant run without it, like on a Jazz bass.
  4. The knobs just pull off...I've pulled mine off to remove the plastic wrap that the shop kindly left on for me!
  5. i took the pickguard off my mim jazz bassabout a year ago and havent seen it since, so i guess its not a vital componet
  6. dlp60

Jan 26, 2001
    I have a squire as well and had to pull the pickguard off to put new electronics in it. They do indeed pull off as they are pressed on. follow the previous advise and use a wide screwdriver to pry it off. Good luck!
  7. on my squier the knobs have allen screws holding the knob onto the pot
  8. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    the knobs on my squier pull off without a screw too