Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help. What's new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gothbass, Mar 8, 2001.

1. gothbass

gothbass

Jan 15, 2001
    I have a small Crate combo box, and I am in need of a new setup. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about a good amp. I don't really want another combo, but it can't be too expensive, my wallet needs mothballs. I appreciate all the help.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    To be honest Gothbass, it would help if you could give a few more specifics - how much (roughly) you're willing to pay, whether you want an amp for practice or gigging, and how powerful you realistically need it to be - otherwise, you'll have people telling you to spend thousands on huge rigs, when you only want to spend a few hundred on a practise amp.

Give us a few more details, and I'm sure that people far more knowledgable than me will be happy to help you.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ya i agree it would be the diff between me telling you to get a swr workinmans amp system or a swr Goliath system!Big diff! But tell us how much you want to spend! What kind of sound you want to get! Almost anything will sound a ass load better than what you have!

4. gothbass

gothbass

Jan 15, 2001
    hehe sorry. Alright, first off. I am willing to spend about $2000 dollars. I need something for gigging ( I figure that I could get by at practice with that combo). Nothing really YAHOO like SWR Mo' Bass, I was looking at the SWR Workingman's 2004 pushing a 1x15. I really appreciate all the help.

5. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I got my rig (TE 150SMH TE 210, TE 15) For 800....From my perspective you have MANY options with that kind of cash.

6. You might want to consider looking into used gear. You can save a lot of money buying used stuff. Just have a tech check it out.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two grand? Shoot-fire ... that's enough jing for a REAL rig. Eden WT-800 and an Eden D-115XL and an Eden D-210XLT. You can get the speakers new for about $1K (for both), but you'll need to get a used WT-800, about $800 to $900. Or, get a WT-600 or even a WT-400. If you get a stereo head, get 4-ohm cabs. If you get the WT-400, get 8-ohm cabs. Yum ... let ... me ... help ... you.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Then again, if you want simpler, cheaper, go with one D-410XLT and the WT-400. You're WAY under $2K then, and still have a totally pro rig.

9. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Agreed, with 2K you can get a great rig.....lucky Americans. My RedHead cost me $2700 Canadian.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    For $2000 you can get a really nice setup Id go with an Eden 4x10, and a separate power amp and preamp, or a separate power amp and signal processor, like a lexicon or uses art sgx nightbass.

But if you want to keep it as inexpensive as possible Carvin makes a very good sounding cabinet for alot less cash than swr, ampeg, etc. I cant speak of there heads as I dont own one, but there cabinets do indeed sound great. Youd be able to get a head, 4x10, 1x15 or 1x18, and even a nice rackmountable signal processor.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What's that work out to, about $500 American?;):p

Sounds like you got a sweet deal to me!

12. Darned lucky americans. I can't believe how much amps cost here.

I'm still trying to come up with the dough to buy an SWR Bass 350 and a 2x10 cab.

It'll beat the pants off the nasty Yorkville 50 I am using now.

FF