I need help wiring my pick-ups in my p-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 311fan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Ok, so I am finishing up a custom p-bass and I need help. This is my first time putting in any pick-ups. I am putting in basslines quarter pounders and have looked at the schematics on the seymour duncan website and followed it exactly but it doesn't work. When ever you touch the tone knob it buzzes and when you turn the knobs they crack eventhough they are new. I can't get any sound from the pick ups. Maybe someone could just explain what to do with the grounds. I was a little confused with that part.
  2. all the grounds are tied together (soldered, actually) and the ring of the output jack is also ground.

do you have an ohm-meter? get an ohm-meter...turn your pots all the way "on"...fully clockwise...check the continuity between the wiper (center lug) of each pot...you should have several K-ohms (1000 ohms) there...if it's close to zero, you have a short...if it's in the 100,000 ohm range or greater, you have a wire off somewhere...
  3. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    You should have the grounding wire coming from the master volume to a screw in the wood under the pickguard maybe thats the problem? im looking at my p bass right now and thats where it looks like the grounding wire is. I hope that helped. Good luck

4. that's not the problem, that's just a shielding ground.
  5. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    here is what I have the grounds soldered to

From Pickup-back of tone pot
    From volume-back of tone pot
    From jack-bridge